W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-comments-wcag20@w3.org > November 2008

Re: WCAG 2: Request for Response

From: Makoto Ueki <makoto.ueki@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2008 22:16:07 +0900
Message-ID: <29e2613a0811010616j5819a4e2wac5dc7fdeba1837b@mail.gmail.com>
To: "Loretta Guarino Reid" <lorettaguarino@google.com>
Cc: public-comments-WCAG20@w3.org

Hi Loretta,

>> > [3]
>> > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-comments-wcag20/2008Aug/0033.html
>>
>> WCAG WG should add the response to the Understanding document:
>> ---
>> Symbols could apply to 'anything that represents something else' See
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symbol . It is not limited to graphic
>> symbols for people with developmental disorders and speech
>> comprehension difficulties.
>> ---
>> Wihout this, the readers could misunderstand that "symbols" means
>> "graphic symbols for people with developmental disorders and speech
>> comprehension difficulties. Actually JIS working group misunderstood
>> it and was confused.
>
> We are adding  the following note to Understanding Guideline 1.1:
>
> Note: While changing the content into symbols includes changing it into
> graphic symbols for people with developmental disorders and speech
> comprehension difficulties, it is not limited to this use of symbols.

OK.


>> > [4]
>> > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-comments-wcag20/2008Aug/0034.html
>>
>> OK. This explanation should be included in the Understanding document.
>> ---
>> This means "indicating that something will happen or has already
>> happened". For example, using color to indicate that a link will open
>> in a new window or that a database entry been updated successfully.
>> "Prompting a response" refers to a use of color that would indicate
>> that the user should do something. For example, a Web page could use
>> highlighting on form fields to indicate that a required field had been
>> left blank.
>> ---
>> Non-English speaking readers could misunderstand what it means.
>
>  We are adding the following to Understanding Success Criterion 1.4.1:
>
> Examples of indicating an action include using color to indicate that a link
> will open in a new window or that a database entry has been updated
> successfully. An example of prompting a response would be using highlighting
> on form fields to indicate that a required field had been left blank.

OK.


>> > [6]
>> > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-comments-wcag20/2008Aug/0036.html
>>
>> It is still hard to understand what "glyph" includes. Visual examples
>> of "glyph" would help the readers to understand it, especially for
>> non-English speaking readers.
>
> In Understanding 1.4.8, we are adding
> "Lines should not exceed 80 characters or glyphs, where glyphs are the
> element of writing in the writing system for the text."
>
> We are looking into adding visual examples of glyphs.

We need the visual examples of glyphs in order to explain what
caharacters are and what glyphs are to the Japanese authors. The
visual examples would be much more powerful than any explanation in
text.


>> > [7]
>> > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-comments-wcag20/2008Aug/0037.html
>>
>> Please see:
>> http://desktoppub.about.com/cs/typespacing/a/zxfleading_img.htm
>>
>> The blue shows "line spacing" or "leading". Am I correct?
>
> Yes, that is correct.

OK. Thanks.


>> > [8]
>> > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-comments-wcag20/2008Aug/0038.html
>>
>> In the case of using CSS, what the author have to do is to set
>> "line-height:150%".
>> Am I correct?
>
> Yes, that is correct. We are adding information to "C21: Specifying line
> spacing in CSS" to make it clearer that the examples showing
> line-height:150% are examples of space-and-a-half line spacing.

OK.


>> > [15]
>> > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-comments-wcag20/2008Aug/0045.html
>>
>> Let me confirm.
>> Conformance claim at Level AA is encouraged to include the list of
>> success criteria at Level AAA the site already met. Am I correct?
>
> Yes, that is correct.

OK.


>> > [17]
>> > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-comments-wcag20/2008Aug/0047.html
>>
>> OK.
>> Are all of the words in glossary used in the same meaning? If so, no
>> problem.
>> We thought that the word "process" in SC 2.2.2 Note 3 was different
>> from the "process" in other sections, but we were not sure and it was
>> very confusing for us to translate the documents. For translation, all
>> words in glossary used in the document should link to the definition
>> in glossary. It allows us to translate much easier.
>
> All the words  in the glossary are used with the same meaning. Because of
> the tools we are currently using, we cannot create links from all the uses
> of the words to the glossary definitions, but we will consider this
> suggestion at a later date.

Please consider the suggestion. Thanks.


>> > [28]
>> > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-comments-wcag20/2008Oct/0042.html
>>
>> OK.
>> The following information should be added to the Understanding document.
>> Without this, nobody can find the equivalent font size for Chinese,
>> Korean, or any other languages than the alphabetical language like
>> English.
>> ---
>> The American Printing House for the Blind publishes "The American
>> Printing House for the Blind Guidelines for Large Printing"
>> <http://www.aph.org/edresearch/lpguide.htm>
>> This is where the 18 point minimum comes from.
>>
>> The Library of Congress publishes "National Library Service for the
>> Blind and Physically Handicapped (NLS), The Library of Congress
>> Guidelines for Large Print"
>> <http://www.loc.gov/nls/reference/circulars/largeprint.html>. This is
>> where the 14 point minimum comes from.
>
> We added these reference to the Related Resources, and we are adding an
> indication that these are the sources of the 14 pt and 18 pt sizes for Large
> Text.

OK.


Thank you very much for your cinsiderations.

- Makoto


2008/11/1 Loretta Guarino Reid <lorettaguarino@google.com>:
> Thanks, Makoto.
>
> On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 12:40 AM, Makoto Ueki <makoto.ueki@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Loretta,
>>
>> Here are my comments for the responses from WCAG WG.
>>
>> > [1]
>> > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-comments-wcag20/2008Aug/0031.html
>>
>> This is not my comment, right? :-)
>
>
> Oops - sorry...
>>
>>
>> > [2]
>> > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-comments-wcag20/2008Aug/0032.html
>>
>> OK.
>>
>> > [3]
>> > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-comments-wcag20/2008Aug/0033.html
>>
>> WCAG WG should add the response to the Understanding document:
>> ---
>> Symbols could apply to 'anything that represents something else' See
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symbol . It is not limited to graphic
>> symbols for people with developmental disorders and speech
>> comprehension difficulties.
>> ---
>> Wihout this, the readers could misunderstand that "symbols" means
>> "graphic symbols for people with developmental disorders and speech
>> comprehension difficulties. Actually JIS working group misunderstood
>> it and was confused.
>
> We are adding  the following note to Understanding Guideline 1.1:
>
> Note: While changing the content into symbols includes changing it into
> graphic symbols for people with developmental disorders and speech
> comprehension difficulties, it is not limited to this use of symbols.
>
>>
>>
>> > [4]
>> > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-comments-wcag20/2008Aug/0034.html
>>
>> OK. This explanation should be included in the Understanding document.
>> ---
>> This means "indicating that something will happen or has already
>> happened". For example, using color to indicate that a link will open
>> in a new window or that a database entry been updated successfully.
>> "Prompting a response" refers to a use of color that would indicate
>> that the user should do something. For example, a Web page could use
>> highlighting on form fields to indicate that a required field had been
>> left blank.
>> ---
>> Non-English speaking readers could misunderstand what it means.
>
>  We are adding the following to Understanding Success Criterion 1.4.1:
>
> Examples of indicating an action include using color to indicate that a link
> will open in a new window or that a database entry has been updated
> successfully. An example of prompting a response would be using highlighting
> on form fields to indicate that a required field had been left blank.
>
>>
>>
>> > [5]
>> > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-comments-wcag20/2008Aug/0035.html
>>
>> OK.
>>
>> > [6]
>> > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-comments-wcag20/2008Aug/0036.html
>>
>> It is still hard to understand what "glyph" includes. Visual examples
>> of "glyph" would help the readers to understand it, especially for
>> non-English speaking readers.
>
> In Understanding 1.4.8, we are adding
> "Lines should not exceed 80 characters or glyphs, where glyphs are the
> element of writing in the writing system for the text."
>
> We are looking into adding visual examples of glyphs.
>
>>
>>
>> > [7]
>> > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-comments-wcag20/2008Aug/0037.html
>>
>> Please see:
>> http://desktoppub.about.com/cs/typespacing/a/zxfleading_img.htm
>>
>> The blue shows "line spacing" or "leading". Am I correct?
>
> Yes, that is correct.
>>
>>
>> > [8]
>> > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-comments-wcag20/2008Aug/0038.html
>>
>> In the case of using CSS, what the author have to do is to set
>> "line-height:150%".
>> Am I correct?
>
> Yes, that is correct. We are adding information to "C21: Specifying line
> spacing in CSS" to make it clearer that the examples showing
> line-height:150% are examples of space-and-a-half line spacing.
>
>>
>>
>> > [9]
>> > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-comments-wcag20/2008Aug/0039.html
>>
>> OK.
>>
>> > [10]
>> > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-comments-wcag20/2008Aug/0040.html
>>
>> OK.
>> "Timing" has been a part of Japanese language and doesn't mean "time
>> limit".
>> Now we can understand what this note means.
>>
>> > [11]
>> > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-comments-wcag20/2008Aug/0041.html
>>
>> OK.
>>
>> > [12]
>> > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-comments-wcag20/2008Aug/0042.html
>>
>> OK. It became understandable and translatable.
>>
>> > [13]
>> > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-comments-wcag20/2008Aug/0043.html
>>
>> OK.
>>
>> > [14]
>> > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-comments-wcag20/2008Aug/0044.html
>>
>> OK.
>>
>> > [15]
>> > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-comments-wcag20/2008Aug/0045.html
>>
>> Let me confirm.
>> Conformance claim at Level AA is encouraged to include the list of
>> success criteria at Level AAA the site already met. Am I correct?
>
> Yes, that is correct.
>>
>>
>> > [16]
>> > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-comments-wcag20/2008Aug/0046.html
>>
>> OK.
>>
>> > [17]
>> > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-comments-wcag20/2008Aug/0047.html
>>
>> OK.
>> Are all of the words in glossary used in the same meaning? If so, no
>> problem.
>> We thought that the word "process" in SC 2.2.2 Note 3 was different
>> from the "process" in other sections, but we were not sure and it was
>> very confusing for us to translate the documents. For translation, all
>> words in glossary used in the document should link to the definition
>> in glossary. It allows us to translate much easier.
>
> All the words  in the glossary are used with the same meaning. Because of
> the tools we are currently using, we cannot create links from all the uses
> of the words to the glossary definitions, but we will consider this
> suggestion at a later date.
>>
>>
>> > [18]
>> > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-comments-wcag20/2008Oct/0004.html
>>
>> OK.
>>
>> > [19]
>> > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-comments-wcag20/2008Oct/0005.html
>>
>> OK.
>>
>> > [20]
>> > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-comments-wcag20/2008Oct/0006.html
>>
>> OK.
>>
>> > [21]
>> > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-comments-wcag20/2008Oct/0007.html
>>
>> OK.
>>
>> > [22]
>> > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-comments-wcag20/2008Oct/0008.html
>>
>> OK.
>>
>> > [23]
>> > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-comments-wcag20/2008Oct/0010.html
>>
>> OK.
>>
>> > [24]
>> > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-comments-wcag20/2008Oct/0011.html
>>
>> OK.
>>
>> > [25]
>> > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-comments-wcag20/2008Oct/0012.html
>>
>> OK.
>>
>> > [26]
>> > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-comments-wcag20/2008Oct/0032.html
>>
>> OK.
>> JIS working group just started to find the equivalent font size for
>> the Japanese characters.
>> This Note 5 is fine with JIS working group. We'll find and add the
>> size to the new version of  JIS next year.
>>
>> > [27]
>> > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-comments-wcag20/2008Oct/0037.html
>>
>> OK.
>>
>> > [28]
>> > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-comments-wcag20/2008Oct/0042.html
>>
>> OK.
>> The following information should be added to the Understanding document.
>> Without this, nobody can find the equivalent font size for Chinese,
>> Korean, or any other languages than the alphabetical language like
>> English.
>> ---
>> The American Printing House for the Blind publishes "The American
>> Printing House for the Blind Guidelines for Large Printing"
>> <http://www.aph.org/edresearch/lpguide.htm>
>> This is where the 18 point minimum comes from.
>>
>> The Library of Congress publishes "National Library Service for the
>> Blind and Physically Handicapped (NLS), The Library of Congress
>> Guidelines for Large Print"
>> <http://www.loc.gov/nls/reference/circulars/largeprint.html>. This is
>> where the 14 point minimum comes from.
>
> We added these reference to the Related Resources, and we are adding an
> indication that these are the sources of the 14 pt and 18 pt sizes for Large
> Text.
>
>>
>> ---
>>
>> That's all. Thanks.
>>
>> - Makoto
>>
>>
>> 2008/10/30 Loretta Guarino Reid <lorettaguarino@google.com>:
>> > Hi, Makoto and JIS,
>> >
>> > The WCAG Working Group responded to your postings to the
>> > public comments list, listed below, on 22 Aug, 29 Aug, 3 Oct, 6 Oct,
>> > and 23 Oct 2008. We wanted to confirm that you are satisfied with our
>> > resolution.
>> >
>> > Could you let us know by this Friday, 31 October? We apologize
>> > for the short notice. Thanks again for the interest that you have
>> > taken in WCAG 2.0.
>> >
>> > Regards,
>> >
>> > Loretta Guarino Reid, WCAG WG Co-Chair
>> > Gregg Vanderheiden, WCAG WG Co-Chair
>> > Michael Cooper, WCAG WG Staff Contact
>> >
>> > On behalf of the WCAG Working Group
>> >
>> > [1]
>> > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-comments-wcag20/2008Aug/0031.html
>> > [2]
>> > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-comments-wcag20/2008Aug/0032.html
>> > [3]
>> > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-comments-wcag20/2008Aug/0033.html
>> > [4]
>> > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-comments-wcag20/2008Aug/0034.html
>> > [5]
>> > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-comments-wcag20/2008Aug/0035.html
>> > [6]
>> > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-comments-wcag20/2008Aug/0036.html
>> > [7]
>> > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-comments-wcag20/2008Aug/0037.html
>> > [8]
>> > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-comments-wcag20/2008Aug/0038.html
>> > [9]
>> > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-comments-wcag20/2008Aug/0039.html
>> > [10]
>> > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-comments-wcag20/2008Aug/0040.html
>> > [11]
>> > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-comments-wcag20/2008Aug/0041.html
>> > [12]
>> > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-comments-wcag20/2008Aug/0042.html
>> > [13]
>> > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-comments-wcag20/2008Aug/0043.html
>> > [14]
>> > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-comments-wcag20/2008Aug/0044.html
>> > [15]
>> > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-comments-wcag20/2008Aug/0045.html
>> > [16]
>> > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-comments-wcag20/2008Aug/0046.html
>> > [17]
>> > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-comments-wcag20/2008Aug/0047.html
>> > [18]
>> > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-comments-wcag20/2008Oct/0004.html
>> > [19]
>> > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-comments-wcag20/2008Oct/0005.html
>> > [20]
>> > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-comments-wcag20/2008Oct/0006.html
>> > [21]
>> > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-comments-wcag20/2008Oct/0007.html
>> > [22]
>> > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-comments-wcag20/2008Oct/0008.html
>> > [23]
>> > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-comments-wcag20/2008Oct/0010.html
>> > [24]
>> > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-comments-wcag20/2008Oct/0011.html
>> > [25]
>> > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-comments-wcag20/2008Oct/0012.html
>> > [26]
>> > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-comments-wcag20/2008Oct/0032.html
>> > [27]
>> > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-comments-wcag20/2008Oct/0037.html
>> > [28]
>> > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-comments-wcag20/2008Oct/0042.html
>> >
>
>



-- 
<以下、署名>

株式会社インフォアクシア
植木 真 <makoto.ueki@gmail.com>

104-0054
東京都中央区勝どき1丁目13-6 プラザタワー勝どき 3011
TEL:03-5547-5777   FAX:03-5547-5778
--------------------------------------------------------
Webアクセシビリティのポータルサイト
Infoaxia - Everything for Your Awareness and Practice -
http://www.infoaxia.com/
Received on Saturday, 1 November 2008 13:18:48 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Tuesday, 6 January 2015 21:11:11 UTC