Re: large scale text for CJK

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 11:04 AM, WCAG 2.0 Comment Form <nobody@w3.org> wrote:

> Name: Makoto Ueki
> Email: makoto.ueki@gmail.com
> Affiliation: JIS Working Group
> Document: W2
> Item Number: Appendix A: Glossary
> Part of Item:
> Comment Type: question
> Summary of Issue: large scale text for CJK
> In "large scale (text)", it reads "... font size that would yield equivalent stroke width for Chinese, Japanese and Korean (CJK) fonts". For Japanese, the stroke width differs according to the font face, also between Kanji and Hiragana/Katakana. And the stroke width is not proportional to the font size.
>
> Proposed Change:
> We can't determine the large scale text for Japanese characters with this definition. Please tell us how to find appropriate font size for Japanese. To be testable, we have to present the font sizes like "18 point or 14 point bold" for Japanese authors.

We determined the font sizes for this provision by using the standard
font sizes for large print in the United States.

We suggest that the font sizes for CJK languages be derived in the
same fashion. If you have a suggestion for a specific font size that
would be suitable for large print in CJK languages, we would welcome
any input you might have.

We have added the following note to the definition:

NOTE 5: The 18 and 14 point sizes for roman texts are taken from the
minimum size for large print (14pt) and the larger standard font size
(18pt).  For other fonts such as CJK languages the "equivalent" sizes
would the the minimum large print size used for those languages and
the next larger standard large print size.