Date: Mon, 04 Aug 1997 10:19:43 -0400
From: Douglas Rand <drand@sgi.com>
To: David Perrell <davidp@earthlink.net>
CC: www-style@w3.org
Subject: Re: CSS vs. transitional markup [was: No Subject]
Sender: www-style-request@w3.org

David Perrell wrote:
> How are inline CSS STYLE declarations handled? Seems to me the only
> difference between CSS and HTML inline declarations is that one has
> maximum precedence and the other minimum. Both are valid only within
> the specific element instance in which they're declared. Once effective
> attributes are resolved, trumped ones are discarded. Couldn't this be
> done in one parse of the document, once the effective stylesheet is
> resolved?

Not the way it's been defined.  That's the problem.  They did this
nasty thing in the definition you posted - they placed the properties
*between* the UA and the author's stylesheet.  I'm not convinced that
elements like FONT can even work with that definition.  It looks to me
as if *any* font-family property will turn off FONT FACE, or font-size
turns off FONT SIZE,  even if the properties are for a parent element,
e.g. BODY or HTML.  Other properties,  like text-align,  are much less
problematic because they won't necessarily appear in the UA's style
sheet.

> If you're doing dynamic HTML, don't you need an attribute structure for
> each instance of each element?

We don't do dynamic HTML yet,  but I do keep a full document structure
which has all the attributes for every element.  I've thought a bit
about how to handle dynamic property changes,  but not for this release.

Doug
--
Doug Rand				drand@sgi.com
Silicon Graphics/SSO			http://reality.sgi.com/drand