Re: Consolidated Proposal for Definition of Collect

On Oct 30, 2013, at 11:15 AM, Vinay Goel wrote:

> Hi Working Group,
>
> David S, Lee and I have been trying to consolidate our change proposals over the definition of ‘collect’.  We felt we were initially close with our different proposals, and after a few emails, we are all comfortable with the following language:
>
> "A party collects data if it receives data within a network interaction and either shares that data with another party or retains that data after the network interaction is complete."
>
> This language is dependent on having a definition of network interaction (Issue-228).  With that, I believe we are all comfortable removing our initial change proposals for collect  I believe this removes David’s change proposal around ‘retain’, but it does not effect Lee’s.  Lee’s change proposal for ‘retains’ is the only alternative text to the Editor’s draft.  I also believe that this encompasses Jonathan’s proposal (but have not verified that with him).  David/Lee — let me know if I got that wrong.
>
> I’m going to work with Lee, Amy and Chris P to see if we can combine some of the change proposals around ‘share’.
>
> -Vinay

The definition is oddly phrased.  If the intent is to scope it to
data received in a network interaction, then that should be up front like

"A party collects data received in a network interaction if it shares that data with a third party or retains that data after the network interaction is complete."

Note that I changed "another party" to "a third party", since it doesn't apply to data that is shared
with only the user or a service provider (as defined).

....Roy