Consolidated Proposal for Definition of Collect

From: Vinay Goel <vigoel@adobe.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 11:15:25 -0700
To: "public-tracking@w3.org (public-tracking@w3.org)" <public-tracking@w3.org>
CC: David Singer <singer@apple.com>, Lee Tien <tien@eff.org>
Hi Working Group,

David S, Lee and I have been trying to consolidate our change proposals over the definition of ‘collect’.  We felt we were initially close with our different proposals, and after a few emails, we are all comfortable with the following language:

"A party collects data if it receives data within a network interaction and either shares that data with another party or retains that data after the network interaction is complete."

This language is dependent on having a definition of network interaction (Issue-228).  With that, I believe we are all comfortable removing our initial change proposals for collect  I believe this removes David’s change proposal around ‘retain’, but it does not effect Lee’s.  Lee’s change proposal for ‘retains’ is the only alternative text to the Editor’s draft.  I also believe that this encompasses Jonathan’s proposal (but have not verified that with him).  David/Lee — let me know if I got that wrong.

I’m going to work with Lee, Amy and Chris P to see if we can combine some of the change proposals around ‘share’.

-Vinay