Re: Agenda: HTML-A11Y Media Subteam on 25 August at 22:00Z

Hi Geoff,

Here is my thinking:

I have used "Described Video" as the over-arching term for any type of
time-aligned description whether that is audio or text. The extended
audio-description section is particularly focused only on the audio side of
"Described Video" only. Anything related to text is already covered in the
new "Texted Video-Description" section.

Introducing the term "Described Video" is actually really nice and helps us
use the word "description" for both audio and text. Then the text-only one
is "texted video-description" and the audio-only one is "audio-description",
which is the much more traditional use of that latter term. Otherwise it
would need to become "auditive video-description" and the extended section
would become "extended auditive video-description". I can do that if you
prefer, but I don't think it makes sense.

More comments inline.

On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 11:15 AM, Geoff Freed <geoff_freed@wgbh.org> wrote:

> A few comments below; not too late, I hope.
> geoff/ncam

Yeah, I had done that already.

Finally, a few editorial points that I noticed while scanning this section:
> -- "Video descriptions" should be hyphenated only when it's used as an
> adjective.  Therefore, it's "Video descriptions are one type of...", but
> it's "A video-description file is one type of...".

Ah ok - I wanted to be consistent. Could you please make those edits, since
I will certainly make the wrong call on some of the usage.

> -- "Description(s)" and "extended description(s)" aren't proper nouns and
> should not be capitalized in the middle of a sentence.

They were used there as terms as given in the title of the section. But feel
free to remove this, too.

> -- In the context of this document, "text video descriptions" doesn't need
> to be hyphenated.
>
> Finally, is "texted (video) descriptions" the final term settled on by the
> group?  "Texted" sounds as if the descriptions are being sent from a
> smartphone, which sounds weird, plus "texted" just makes for an awkward
> phrase.  "Text video descriptions" would be clearer, I think, and less
> awkward-- the descriptions are just text, after all.

We can use "text-based" or "textual" or just "text" - I don't mind. I find
they all sound awkward.