RE: Agenda: HTML-A11Y Media Subteam on 25 August at 22:00Z

A few comments below; not too late, I hope.
geoff/ncam

From: public-html-a11y-request@w3.org [public-html-a11y-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Silvia Pfeiffer [silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 25, 2010 8:00 PM
To: HTML Accessibility Task Force
Subject: Re: Agenda: HTML-A11Y Media Subteam on 25 August at 22:00Z

Actually, I also had to apply the new terminology to the other Described Video sections:

The "texted audio description" section is now called "texted video descrition":
http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/Media_Accessibility_User_Requirements#Texted_Video-Description

And I use the term "audio-description" now exclusively only when it refers to actual audio tracks:
http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/Media_Accessibility_User_Requirements#Extended_audio-description

======
GF:
While I think it's agreeable to re-label audio descriptions as video descriptions to conform the term with other usages (the US federal government comes to mind), I think it will be confusing to now use "audio descriptions" to label what are really extended *video* descriptions (and formerly called extended audio descriptions).  Re-labeling them "extended video descriptions" would be less confusing and would be a consistent usage of the term.

Also, now that we're relabeling audio descriptions as video descriptions, it would seem appropriate to no longer label the requirements "AD-1, AD-2," etc., but rather "VD-1, VD-2," etc.  (No comment on the smirks this may cause...).  Ditto for extended video descriptions (EVD).

Finally, a few editorial points that I noticed while scanning this section:
-- "Video descriptions" should be hyphenated only when it's used as an adjective.  Therefore, it's "Video descriptions are one type of...", but it's "A video-description file is one type of...".
-- "Description(s)" and "extended description(s)" aren't proper nouns and should not be capitalized in the middle of a sentence.
-- In the context of this document, "text video descriptions" doesn't need to be hyphenated.

Finally, is "texted (video) descriptions" the final term settled on by the group?  "Texted" sounds as if the descriptions are being sent from a smartphone, which sounds weird, plus "texted" just makes for an awkward phrase.  "Text video descriptions" would be clearer, I think, and less awkward-- the descriptions are just text, after all.

======

Hope that was the intention.