[csswg-drafts] [selectors3] better terminology for ~ sibling combinator?

From: L. David Baron via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2017 00:37:53 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
dbaron has just created a new issue for https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts:

== [selectors3] better terminology for ~ sibling combinator? ==
A [recent edit](https://hg.csswg.org/drafts/rev/20dedc56c691) changed the terminology for sibling selectors:
>   "Adjacent Sibling Combinator" -> "Next-sibling Combinator"
>   "General Sibling Combinator"  -> "Following-sibling Combinator"

I'm a bit hesitant about this change, because it doesn't seem obvious to me that "following" means "any later sibling".  I think I occasionally hear the term "following sibling" as a synonym for "next sibling" rather than meaning "any later sibling".

I wonder if there are better options here for the latter combinator.  Maybe "Later-sibling combinator" would be better -- although I'm still not sure that it fully disambiguates.

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/1382 using your GitHub account