W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-ws-policy@w3.org > February 2007

Agenda: WS-Policy WG telcon 27 - 2007-02-14

From: Paul Cotton <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 11:35:40 -0800
To: "public-ws-policy@w3.org" <public-ws-policy@w3.org>
CC: "chrisfer@us.ibm.com" <chrisfer@us.ibm.com>
Message-ID: <4D66CCFC0B64BA4BBD79D55F6EBC225729A72FA4D4@NA-EXMSG-C103.redmond.corp.microsoft.com>

Agenda: WS-Policy WG distributed meeting 27 - 2007-02-14

The phone number to use for the WS-Policy WG F2F is documented on the WG's administrative home page:
http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/policy/admin#phone

Participants are invited to join IRC channel #ws-policy as documented on the WG's administrative home page. Please register with Zakim:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-ws-policy/2006Aug/0012.html

1. Roll call and selection of secretary, Chair

a) Scribe List:

Charlton Barreto (Secretary for Feb 14)
Dimitar Angelov
Sanjiva Weerawarana
Ruchith Fernando
Jeffrey Crump
Tom Jordahl
Vladislav Bezrukov
----------------------
Jeff Mischkinsky
Abbie Barbir
Ashok Malhotra
Sanka Samaranayake
David Orchard
Yakov Sverdlov
Ümit Yalçinalp
Asir Vedamuthu
Maryann Hondo
Dale Moberg
Chris Ferris
Mark Little
Monica Martin
Glen Daniels
William Henry
Toufic Boubez
Frederick Hirsch
Felix Sasaki
Prasad Yendluri
Anthony Nadalin
Daniel Roth
Fabian Ritzmann
Sergey Beryozkin

b) Scribe FAQ (Updated)
Member only:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-ws-policy/2006Oct/0001.html

2. Review and approval of telcon minutes, Chair

a) Review and approval of 2007-02-07 minutes
Draft minutes (member only):
http://www.w3.org/2007/02/07-ws-policy-minutes.html
Status: See note from Chris for correction:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-ws-policy/2007Feb/0010.html

3. Future WG meetings, Chair

a) Next distributed meeting is Wed Feb 21 - Chair is Chris.

b) Future meetings
http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/policy/admin#meetings

c) Tue-Thu Mar 13-15 F2F meeting in Santa Clara hosted by webMethods
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-ws-policy/2007Jan/0000.html
http://www.w3.org/2007/03/ws-policy-f2f-logistics.html
Note: Please register as early as possible.

d) Wed-Fri May 23-25 F2F meeting in Ottawa hosted by Nortel
http://www.w3.org/2007/05/ws-policy-f2f-logistics.html

e) Tue-Thu Jul 24-26 F2F meeting in Dublin hosted by Iona
http://www.w3.org/2007/07/ws-policy-f2f-logistics.html
Note: Logistics page is not yet available.

ACTION-189 William Henry to put a proposal page for the July F2F in Ireland

4. Editorial team report
Current Editors drafts:
http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/policy/#drafts

a) WS-Policy Candidate Recommendation Editor's drafts, Editors
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ws-policy/2007Jan/0208.html
Status: WG members have approved these drafts for transition to CR.

b) Updated CR drafts, Editors
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ws-policy/2007Feb/0052.html

c) Updated interop scenarios document, Editors
http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2006/ws/policy/interop/WS-Policy-Scenarios.pdf

5. Review action items, Chair
Open action items:
Member only:
http://www.w3.org/2005/06/tracker/wspolicy/actions/open

ACTION-189 William Henry to ut a proposal page for the July F2F in Ireland

ACTION-201 William Henry to a concrete proposal for 4255 and 4253

ACTION-204 Chris Ferris to create test cases for xml:base

ACTION-211 Prasad Yendluri to create test cases for features 37 and 38 on UDDI

ACTION-213 Chris Ferris to find an owner for feature 22

ACTION-214 Paul Cotton to ask Ashok if he takes on feature 23
DONE but Paul has not heard back from Ashok.

ACTION-216 Umit to propose text for primer or guideline for issue 4212
ACTION-218 Umit and Maryann to provide text for subject attachment Extensibility in guidelines

ACTION-219 Maryann to work with Asir and Umit to review the changed WS-A Metadata document  Due: 2007-02-14

ACTION-220 Chris Ferris to work with Felix and Paul to ensure that the namespace document is updated accordingly when we publish the CR drafts
DONE.  Revised documents are ready.

ACTION-221 Editors to start thinking about converting the document at http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ws-policy/2007Jan/0143.html
DONE.  See:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ws-policy/2007Feb/0037.html

6. Liaison items

a) Feedback to WS-Addressing WG on Web Services Addressing 1.0 - Metadata specification
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-ws-policy/2007Feb/0005.html

ACTION-219 Maryann to work with Asir and Umit to review the changed WS-A Metadata document  Due: 2007-02-14

7. WS-Policy Call for Implementations, Chair

a) W3C Process 7.4.3 Call for Implementations (aka Candidate Recommendation)
http://www.w3.org/2005/10/Process-20051014/tr.html#cfi
Status: our CFI must cover the following items:

i) the Working Group SHOULD include a report of present and expected implementations as part of the request.
Status: As discussed on Feb 7:
Will be participating: IBM, MSFT and WS02
Maybe's include: Webmethods, Axway, Iona
Paul and Chris chasing other external contacts

Results of previous interop:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ws-policy/2006Jun/att-0010/ws-policy-workshop-minutes-April-2006.doc

ii) the Working Group MAY identify specific features of the technical report as being "features at risk"
Asir's note:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ws-policy/2007Feb/0022.html

Status: WG members to consider the proposed three features "at risk" and come prepared to nail down the final list for the transition
Request at the Feb 14 meeting.

iii) The request to the Director to advance a technical report to Candidate Recommendation MUST indicate whether the Working Group expects to satisfy any Proposed Recommendation entrance criteria beyond the default requirements

Default PR criteria are: Shown that each feature of the technical report has been implemented. Preferably, the Working Group SHOULD be able to demonstrate two interoperable implementations of each feature.

Status: We discussed the prospect of raising the bar on all non-at-risk features to 4 implementations (or more) with 2 for the features at risk.
Members were encouraged to think about whether this is an appropriate "bar" to set for WS-Policy CFI exit criteria.

iv)  The announcement MUST indicate a minimal duration, before which the Working Group MUST NOT request a Call for Review of a Proposed Recommendation; this minimal duration is designed to allow time for comment.

Status: members were asked to consider the end of May (following the May F2F) as the earliest possible date to transition to PR.

v) The announcement SHOULD also include the Working Group's estimate of the time expected to gather sufficient implementation data.

Status: The WG charter timeline predicted a July 2007 PR. Members were asked whether using this date as the expected duration of the CFI period was
acceptable.

9. CR interop scenarios and testing
Note: Please use bugzilla for test case issues, including proposals for missing test cases.

a) WS-Policy Features and Interop Scenarios, Asir
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ws-policy/2007Jan/0143.html

b) Updated Interop Scenarios, IBM and MSFT
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ws-policy/2007Feb/0008.html

c) Updated interop scenarios document, Editors
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ws-policy/2007Feb/0037.html

d) ACTION-203 Felix will create test cases for xml:id
DONE
[NEW ISSUE] 4301: Test case for xml:id
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=4301
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ws-policy/2007Feb/0010.html

e) ACTION-204 Chris will create test cases for xml:base

f) ACTION-209 Glen Daniels will create test cases for the policy MIME type
DONE.  See:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ws-policy/2007Feb/0001.html

g) UDDI scenario and test cases, Prasad
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ws-policy/2007Jan/0196.html
ACTION-211 Prasad to create test cases for features 37 and 38 on UDDI

h) Feature 42, Skip
ACTION-212 Mark Temple-Raston to determine the UDDI scenarios CitiGroup can cover
DONE. See:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ws-policy/2007Feb/0029.html
Status: Paul cannot open the ZIP file attachment.

i) Adding negative test cases, Chris F
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ws-policy/2007Jan/0199.html

j) Outstanding test cases, Chair
ACTION-213 Chris Ferris to find an owner for feature 22
ACTION-214 Paul Cotton to ask Ashok if he takes on feature 23

k) Editor's questions about interop scenarios
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ws-policy/2007Feb/0037.html

l) Other interop scenario discussion items

10. WSDL 1.1 Element Identifiers

a) Issue 4251  Change syntax for some WSDL 1.1 identifiers
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=4251
Ashok's proposal:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ws-policy/2007Jan/0169.html
David's correction:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ws-policy/2007Jan/0180.html
Status: At the F2F meeting WG members asked for more time to consider this matter.

11. Primer issues

a) [NEW ISSUE] 4103 Questionable use of Contoso Ltd in Primer, Chris Ferris
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=4103
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ws-policy/2006Dec/0077.html
See thread ending at:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ws-policy/2006Dec/0102.html
Status: Asir has action 183

ACTION-183 OPEN Research ownership of "Contoso" name/trademark. Asir Vedamuthu 2007-01-10
See email from Chris Ferris:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ws-policy/2007Feb/0033.html

b) Issue 4263 - Add text to ignorable discussion on passing ignorable
Updated proposal from Monica:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ws-policy/2007Feb/0013.html
Email discussion:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ws-policy/2007Feb/0012.html
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ws-policy/2007Feb/0011.html

c) [NEW ISSUE] 4212, 4213 Use of empty policy for nesting should be exemplified
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ws-policy/2007Jan/0100.html

ACTION-216 Umit to propose text for primer or guideline for issue 4212
d) [NEW ISSUE] 4255: Section 2.9 should also explain basic attaching
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=4255

e) Issue 4288 - Primer: Absence of Policy Assertions (editorial), Monica
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ws-policy/2007Jan/0214.html
ACTION-217  Maryann and Monica to amend issue 4288
DONE:
Proposal from Monica:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ws-policy/2007Feb/0014.html

f) Issue 4300 - Misue of best practises in primer, Umit
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=4300

12. Guidelines issues

a) ISSUE 3987: Section 5.9 - Lifecycle of Assertions?, Asir
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=3987
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ws-policy/2006Nov/0111.html

b) ISSUE 4035: [ Guidelines] Section 2 should account for interop impact of non-wire or one-party assertions and ignorable property
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=4035
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ws-policy/2006Dec/0007.html

c) ISSUE 4072: Statements not relevant to assertion design, Dan
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=4072
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ws-policy/2006Dec/0046.html
Fabian's response:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ws-policy/2006Dec/0063.html

d) ISSUE 3979: Clarify the guidance in section 5.9.1 on referencing policy expressions, Dan Roth
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=3979
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ws-policy/2006Nov/0104.html

ACTION-164 Try to write up alternative text that takes into consideration today\\'s discussion on issue 3979 DONE. See:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ws-policy/2006Dec/0071.html

e) ISSUE 4073: Free standing statements, Asir
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=4073
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ws-policy/2006Dec/0049.html

f) ISSUE 4074: Collection of unclear Guidance or text issues, Dan
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=4074
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ws-policy/2006Dec/0053.html
See exchange between Dan and Umit at:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ws-policy/2006Dec/0085.html

g) ISSUE 4040: [Guidelines] Update guidelines to include discussion of ignorable, Frederick http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=4040
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ws-policy/2006Dec/0025.html

h) ISSUE 3978: Clarify if Section 7 on defining new policy attachment mechanisms is necessary, Dan Roth
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=3978
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ws-policy/2006Nov/0102.html
Maryann's response:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ws-policy/2006Nov/0131.html

i) ISSUE 3989: Suggested format for the Guidelines document., Asir
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=3989
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ws-policy/2006Nov/0113.html
Maryann's response:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ws-policy/2006Nov/0132.html
Asir:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ws-policy/2006Nov/0139.html
Umit:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ws-policy/2006Nov/0141.html

j) ISSUE 3988: Section 8 doesn't illustrate how to design an assertion., Asir
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=3988
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ws-policy/2006Nov/0112.html
Email discussion thread:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ws-policy/2006Dec/0000.html

k) ISSUE 4074: [Guidelines] Collection of unclear Guidance or text issues, Dan
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=4074
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ws-policy/2006Dec/0053.html

l) ISSUE 3981: What is the relevance of Section 4 'Authoring Styles' to policy assertion design?, Asir
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=3981
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ws-policy/2006Nov/0107.html
Proposal from Umit:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ws-policy/2007Feb/0000.html

m) ISSUE 3990: Content in Section 5.7 is unclear, Dan Roth http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=3990
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ws-policy/2006Nov/0114.html

n) [NEW ISSUE] 4198: Policy assertion semantics independent of attachment mechanism
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=4198
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ws-policy/2007Jan/0083.html
ACTION-218         OPEN         And Maryann to provide text for subject attachment Extensibility in guidelines         Umit Yalcinalp         2007-02-07

o) [NEW ISSUE] 4262 Use of @wsp:optional and @wsp:Ignorable on t...
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=4262

p) ACTION-192         OPEN         Give proposal for changes resulting from 4142         Maryann Hondo         2007-01-23
DONE
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ws-policy/2007Feb/0003.html



Paul Cotton, Microsoft Canada
17 Eleanor Drive, Ottawa, Ontario K2E 6A3
Tel: (613) 225-5445 Fax: (425) 936-7329
mailto:Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com
Received on Sunday, 11 February 2007 19:35:55 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Tuesday, 8 January 2008 14:20:47 GMT