Re: [css-flexbox] rationale for definite size conditions

On 02/26/2016 06:10 PM, Christian Biesinger wrote:
> https://drafts.csswg.org/css-flexbox/#definite-sizes
>
> For the second case, why is it a condition that the flex container has
> a definite size? In what way does that simplify things relative to
> just the flex item having a definite flex basis?

If the flex container has an indefinite size, then its size
depends on this flex item's size, which depends on the flex
container's size (due to flexing).

In the condition currently in the spec, a flex item can rely
on an indefinite sibling's size, but not on its own size.

Let me know if that makes sense, or if it still seems weird.

(Fwiw, we did clarify that if an item with a definite flex basis
is inflexible, it is considered definite. [1])
[1] https://hg.csswg.org/drafts/rev/fbcbe170c119

~fantasai