Re: [css-line-grid] box-snap or block-snap

From: Alan Stearns <stearns@adobe.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2014 04:09:58 +0000
To: MURAKAMI Shinyu <murakami@antenna.co.jp>
On 3/18/14, 8:06 PM, "MURAKAMI Shinyu" <murakami@antenna.co.jp> wrote:

>Alan Stearns <stearns@adobe.com> wrote on 2014/03/19 9:30:17
>> The current line-grid module has a fairly complex box-snap property. I’m
>> assuming it can be simplified substantially for the first level of the
>> module.
>>
>> The most basic cases are to take the block and snap the top or bottom
>>to a
>> grid line, or center the whole block within two grid lines. This can be
>> done with:
>>
>> block-snap: before | after | center | none
>>

>We (Antenna House) implemented the line grid feature and the block-snap
>property (with name '-ah-baseline-block-snap'). See:
>http://antennahouse.com/CSSInfo/extension.html#axf.baseline-block-snap

>Value: none | [auto | before | after | center] || [border-box |
>margin-box]
>
>'auto' is same as 'before' on top of column, same as 'after' at bottom
>of column, otherwise 'center'.

That’s interesting - I assume it’s used for image placement? Are there any
other use cases for the ‘auto’ value?

>[border-box | margin-box] specifies the edge used to align the block on
>the line grid. 'border-box' is the default.

Did you have a reason for only implementing those values, and not
padding-box and content-box as well? Do you have a use case for border-box
that is not satisfied by setting the relevant margin to 0?

Thanks,

Alan