Re: [css-position] sticky only along one axis

On Tue, 2014-03-18 at 16:35 -0700, Brad Kemper wrote:
> On Mar 18, 2014, at 12:37 PM, Viatcheslav Ostapenko <sl.ostapenko@samsung.com> wrote:
> >
> > Let's say this way:
> > Implementation of sticky positioning for table columns would bring extra
> > complexity, but it will be rarely used.
>
> Why assume if would be rare? Headings on the left or right side of tables are not that rare.
>
> When designing for mobile, having a non-scrolling row header column could be pretty useful.
> Or having a column of action-oriented icons or checkboxes that hugs the right side as you scroll the rows to the right to see the other columns.

Yes. That's was my original thought, but I cannot remember many websites
that use such design.

> By the way, it isn't just sticky positioning that is discriminating against columns but not rows. It is other positioning in the draft too.

At least for webkit/blink table column handing is very different from
other table elements.

> > Taking into account that there
> > is simple workaround I don't think it's worth the trouble.
>
> You could say the same thing about table rows. I don't think we should sacrifice useful consistency just because it requires a little extra effort.

For table rows we've got it almost for free, but it's not the case with
table columns.

Slava