Re: [css4-background] use cases for 'border-corner-shape'?

Le 25 mars 2013 à 15:19, "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org> a écrit :

> But it's not.  It's an easier
> shortcut for doing something that's already possible using more
> general mechanisms.  Authors can already do this in a number of
> ways:  using border-image (preferably), or using images (the way
> authors used to simulate rounded corners before border-radius).
>
> My argument is that if there were enough demand to make this feature
> worth adding to implementations, we'd be seeing significant numbers
> of such pages in the wild.

You don't see it in the wild all that often precisely because it is rather complex to build (emulate) such corners. Border-image would be nice, except for the elephant in the room that is IE 10 and older not supporting it (and Firefox, even the latest nightly, not being able to use SVG for this, but that is minor at this point).
Using background-images leads to very fragile constructions (nested divs, empty spans and generated content). I've done it, and it is no fun… especially when someone at the client's office then needs to edit that content. I've the nagging suspicion that one might find more examples by visiting old un-maintained sites (those table-based things from long time ago when responsiveness was much less a concern).

Basic corners of the type Nicole Sullivan posted in [1] is something I see regularly on pages my 11years old daughter visits (many times Flash based stuff, at a glance).

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2013Mar/0519.html

Philippe
--
Philippe Wittenbergh