Re: [css4-background] use cases for 'border-corner-shape'?

On Monday 2013-03-25 01:58 -0400, Liam R E Quin wrote:
> On Sun, 2013-03-24 at 12:14 -0700, L. David Baron wrote:
> > So before agreeing to accept
> > this new feature, I'd like to see examples of Web sites that are
> > doing what these values would do.
>
> I don't buy this argument - "before building a bridge I want to see
> people who jump or swim across the river".
>
> Adding complexity is to be avoided, but the question isn't, "is this new
> feature something people already do without the new feature?" but, "what
> can people do with this new feature?"

If it were truly a new feature, sure.  But it's not.  It's an easier
shortcut for doing something that's already possible using more
general mechanisms.  Authors can already do this in a number of
ways:  using border-image (preferably), or using images (the way
authors used to simulate rounded corners before border-radius).

My argument is that if there were enough demand to make this feature
worth adding to implementations, we'd be seeing significant numbers
of such pages in the wild.

Otherwise, authors should use existing, more general, features that
we've added that can address these use cases along with many others
(border-image, probably using SVG images).

-David