Re: [css4-background] use cases for 'border-corner-shape'?

On 25 March 2013 06:19, L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org> wrote:

> Authors can already do this in a number of
> ways:  using border-image (preferably), or using images (the way
> authors used to simulate rounded corners before border-radius).

Surely border-image isn't quite the same because it requires adding border
width to the box model, and precludes adding a border as well. This
example<http://fu2k.org/alex/css/equalheight/divs/clipped> wouldn't
be possible (not trivially at least) because internal content would have to
overlap the border. It also wouldn't crop internal content to that shape...
yes a mask could be used instead, but as far as I know the current syntax
wouldn't support this for flexible boxes.

Re. a more generic solution: Lea's already proposed allowing cubic-beizer()
values for border-corner-shape, which would make this more generic, while
the named variants ('bevel' etc) give convenient shortcuts for the most
common shapes. Or SVG, but it seems excessive to define an SVG container:
lots of additional markup for what is essentially a styling issue.

There are easily enough bevel cornered tabs and scoop cornered classic
"ticket" shapes on the net to warrant this property - and creative people
will find many more fantastic things to do with any tools you give them.

Stu Cox
@stucoxmedia