Re: Mailing list archives: feeback requested on proposedimprovements (2: view)

Al,
User agents right now don't skip maps (or allow navigation or summary
either), but we are
including the question in our evaluations.  We are trying to get these
features implemented:

1. Skip collection of related links
2. Orient user to the set of MAP elements on a page (there could be more
than one set of navigation bars or related links)
3. Navigate directly to a particular MAP link set

Jon

At 09:58 AM 3/28/2002 -0500, Al Gilman wrote:
>At 08:39 AM 2002-03-28 , Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
> >
> >I will take an action to raise this again as an issue in WCAG.
> >

>Please don't do that.  I am checking with the leadership of the WCAG on
>this point.
>See the WAI CG archives.
>
>Ian did a good job of recapping the rationale.
>
>What I would like you to do, however, is give us an update on user agent
>implementation on skipping MAP.  With links to backups.
>
>Al
>
> >Chaals
> >
> >On Thu, 28 Mar 2002, Ian B. Jacobs wrote:
> >
> >  Dominique Hazaël-Massieux wrote:
> >
> >  > le jeu 28-03-2002 à 10:42, Steven Pemberton a écrit :
> >  >
> >  >>>>I don't get the idea of putting the navbar in a <map> (client side
> image
> >  >>>>map). What's the point? What do you gain?
> >  >>>>
> >  >>>This is for accessibility reason. See:
> >  >>>http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG10-HTML-TECHS/#group-bypass
> >  >>>
> >  >>Ooh I hadn't spotted this before. This is weird tag abuse. Can anyone
> >  >>explain to me what the accessibility advantages are of using a
> client-side
> >  >>image map not as a client-side image map, but as a container for links?
> >  >>
> >  >>Why is it better than using a <p> or a <div>?
> >  >>
> >  >
> >  > Good question. Maybe Al will be able to give more input on that.
> >  > Interestingly, it looks like this usage of <map> is not considered good
> >  > anymore:
> >  > http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/wai-gl-tech-issues.html#group-bypass
> >  > "A further conclusion is that we do not want to recommend the MAP
> element
> >  > as a way to group links since it is a non-standard use of the element."
> >

> >  That's unfortunate that the WCAG WG concluded that after:
> >
> >    1) That proposal being integrated into HTML 4.01, and
> >    2) A fair amount of time spent in the UAWG trying to meet the need
> >      of recognizing MAP as navigation markup.
> >
> >  I have not been party to the discussion in the WCAG WG, but I'm
> >  a little disappointed to hear that now they're unrecommending what
> >  is not *yet* standard practice but might have been.
> >
> >    _ Ian
> >

> >--
> >Charles McCathieNevile    http://www.w3.org/People/Charles  phone: +61
> 409 134 136
> >W3C Web Accessibility Initiative     http://www.w3.org/WAI  fax: +33 4
> 92 38 78 22
> >Location: 21 Mitchell street FOOTSCRAY Vic 3011, Australia
> >(or W3C INRIA, Route des Lucioles, BP 93, 06902 Sophia Antipolis Cedex,
> France)

Jon Gunderson, Ph.D., ATP
MC-574
College of Applied Life Studies
1207 S. Oak Street, Champaign, IL  61820

Voice: (217) 244-5870
Fax: (217) 333-0248

E-mail: jongund@uiuc.edu

WWW: http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~jongund