Re: translation Circus

gareth edison a écrit :
> Good evening everyone here at w3c translations,
>
> As a long time supporter of the W3C project I would like to voice my
> opinion regarding the
> quality of some of the translations being prodiced here on the forum.
>
> What was supposed to be a good idea ist turning into a fiasco of link
> hungry webmasters posing as
> translators who are translating documents no one really wants or
> needs. It is certainly helpfull to
> be able to read these Documents in French, Dutch, German. Greek,
> Russian, Cinese or Japanese but
> I fail to grasp the importancy of translating documents into languages
> like Turmen, Uzbek, Azerbajan,
> Kazakh, Belarussian, Ukrainian, Estonian, Latvian, Tatar, Georgian or
> even Armenian.

They may be using the same alphabet indeed, but those *are* different
languages (at least for Armenian / Kazakh / Georgian) and are official
languages of respectively Armenia, Kazakhstan and Georgia, *NOT*
dialects. You're basically saying that Spanish and Italian are dialects,
because they use the same alphabet and sound very much alike to an
untrained ear.

For the rest, I can't judge the quality of the Turkish translations, but
I have to agree on the part about native speakers...

I wish a happy new year to you all as well,
François