Re: translation request

zara <ecrire@catherine-roy.net> wrote:

> I must point out that various drafts of WCAG 2.0 have already been translated in at least French[1,2], Spanish[3] and Japanese[4], the last of which is publicised on W3C/WAI's own site[5] so it is a little late in wondering if translation is welcomed now.
>
> Furthermore, while there can surely be cases where certain material might not be pertinent to translate until finalised, when it comes to specifications that will be or are effectively in the process of being disseminated for the purpose of obtaining feedback from the international community, translations should certainly not be discouraged.

Speaking for the Japanese translation, we translated the Last Call Working
Draft precisely because we wanted to encourage timely feedback from
non-English speakers, and made the translation available within a few
days after publication of the Last Call Working Draft.

However, in order to be able to do so, several of our colleagues
participated in the WCAG WG and followed the development closely,
and we even started the translation before actual publication.
It does require a lot of efforts.  Since the Last Call period for
the current draft is over and there may be an another draft before
reaching the Candidate Recommendation status, it may be prudent to
wait until the next draft.  Of course you may start looking at
the current draft, but you'd better follow the discussion within
the WCAG WG to figure out which part is more stable and which part
is likely to change.

--
Masayasu Ishikawa
Keio University