Re: Datatyping Summary

On Wed, 2002-01-30 at 08:54, Brian McBride wrote:
> Ok Jeremy,
>
> As I understand what you are suggesting here, is that under TDL, the rule
> could be rewritten to get the desired effect, i.e. reflecting the "literal
> is a pair" directly in an extended n-triples represention:
>
>    <mary> <haircolor> (_, "red") .
>
> and
>
>    ?x <haircolor> (_, "red") => ?x <rdf:type> <redhead> .
>
> one can conclude:
>
>    ?x <rdf:type> <redhead> .
>
> DanC - Do you buy this one.  Rewrite the rule and you get what you want.

I accept the reasoning above; it doesn't address my objection;
it' just shows that my example wasn't very good. Sergey's
example makes the point better:

--8<--

  _:f <rdf:type> <film> .
  _:f <dc:Title> "10" .
  <mary> <age> "10" .

Given a query:

  (?x <dc:Title> ?y) & (?z <age> ?y)
--8<--

As to the claim that query is irrelevant, I disagree;
it's clearly analagous to an entailment test:

premise:

  _:f <rdf:type> <film> .
  _:f <dc:Title> "10" .
  <mary> <age> "10" .

conclusion:

  _:x <dc:Title> _:y.
  _:z <age> _:y.

pass or fail?

Clearly when viewed in TDL-extended-N3 as above...

  _:f <rdf:type> <film> .
  _:f <dc:Title> (_:t1, "10") .
  <mary> <age> (_:t2, "10") .

it's not valid to conclude

  _:x <dc:Title> _:y.
  _:z <age> _:y.

The TDL proponents claim this is a feature: the two occurences
of "10" might indeed denote different things. I see it as a bug:
I think RDF users expect "10" to match "10".
This seems to put the two positions in pretty stark contrast.