Re: [webcomponents] Encapsulation and defaulting to open vs closed (was in www-style)

On 2/6/14 9:06 PM, ext Ryosuke Niwa wrote:
> Could chairs of the working group please clarify whether we have had a reach of consensus on the default encapsulation level in shadow DOM?

As described in [WorkMode], WebApps' asynchronous participation and edit
first "work modes" means group members must actively participate on the
list and actively file bugs and participate in bug reports. We also
expect both Editors and group participants to work toward obtaining
broad consensus as described in the charter [Decisions].

> More concretely, have we _decided_ that we only want Type 1 encapsulation for the level 1 specifications of Web components instead of Type 2 or Type 1 and Type 2 encapsulations as defined in Maciej's email sent out in June 29th, 2011:
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2011AprJun/1364.html
>
> I don't recall any consensus being reached about this matter.
>
> In fact, http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2012OctDec/thread.html#msg312
> (referred by http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2014Feb/0221.html)
> clearly shows the lack of consensus in my eyes as both Boris Zbarsky from Mozilla and Maciej Stachowiak from Apple have voiced to prefer Type 2 encapsulation:
>
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2012OctDec/0406.html
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2012OctDec/0421.html
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2012OctDec/0628.html
>
> while representatives of Google preferring Type 1 encapsulations.

I agree the threads started by Maciej at [1364.html] and Dimitri at
[0312.html] do not appear to have reached broad consensus. (I am not
subscribed to www-style so I haven't followed those discussions.)

Dimitri, Maciej, Ryosuke - is there a mutually agreeable solution here?

-Thanks, ArtB

[WorkMode] <https://www.w3.org/2008/webapps/wiki/WorkMode>
[Decisions] <http://www.w3.org/2012/webapps/charter/#decisions>
[1364.html]