[webcomponents] Encapsulation and defaulting to open vs closed (was in www-style)

From: Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa@apple.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2014 18:06:32 -0800
To: "public-webapps@w3.org WG" <public-webapps@w3.org>
Hi,

Could chairs of the working group please clarify whether we have had a reach of consensus on the default encapsulation level in shadow DOM?

More concretely, have we _decided_ that we only want Type 1 encapsulation for the level 1 specifications of Web components instead of Type 2 or Type 1 and Type 2 encapsulations as defined in Maciej's email sent out in June 29th, 2011:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2011AprJun/1364.html

I don't recall any consensus being reached about this matter.

In fact, http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2012OctDec/thread.html#msg312
(referred by http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2014Feb/0221.html)
clearly shows the lack of consensus in my eyes as both Boris Zbarsky from Mozilla and Maciej Stachowiak from Apple have voiced to prefer Type 2 encapsulation:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2012OctDec/0406.html
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2012OctDec/0421.html
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2012OctDec/0628.html

while representatives of Google preferring Type 1 encapsulations.

- R. Niwa