W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-vocabs@w3.org > January 2015

Re: Someone please look at my site

From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2015 18:45:52 -0500
Message-ID: <54B9A2B0.3060303@openlinksw.com>
To: public-vocabs@w3.org
On 1/16/15 2:58 PM, The Bicycling Guitarist wrote:
> I have been trying for more than a year to implement structured data 
> throughout my site. I have posted in the Google forum about this but 
> haven’t gotten any responses to any of my most recent questions.
> On www.TheBicyclingGuitarist.net/songs/redbaron.htm 
> <http://www.TheBicyclingGuitarist.net/songs/redbaron.htm> I have two 
> videos each marked up as workExample of the same song but do not know 
> if that is correct.
> The most important page of my site is the home page of course at 
> www.TheBicyclingGuitarist.net/ <http://www.TheBicyclingGuitarist.net/> 
> Again I am not sure if I have marked up as much as I should the way I 
> should. I also found that the Google structured data testing tool 
> reports an error when I use genre as a property of MusicGroup even 
> though the schema.org page says it is okay and the Stuctured Data 
> Linter reads it without reporting it as an error.
> I also found that the example given on the schema.org breadcrumb page 
> generates an html error in the w3c unicorn validator. I found an easy 
> fix that works in Unicorn and still gives the structured data in the 
> Google SDTT. See any of my pages’ breadcrumb navigation for an example 
> (I moved the separator character inside the li). Again, not sure if 
> this is okay, but the bottom line is that the code as supplied does 
> not validate according to w3c, and my fix does and still gives the 
> structured data.
> Some WW2 veterans shared stories I published for them including one at 
> www.TheBicyclingGuitarist.net/china-burma-india/newman.htm 
> <http://www.TheBicyclingGuitarist.net/china-burma-india/newman.htm>. 
> Some of my Studies pages have a lot of markup too such as 
> www.TheBicyclingGuitarist.net/ishi/ 
> <http://www.TheBicyclingGuitarist.net/ishi/> and 
> www.TheBicyclingGuitarist.net/studies/colorphotos.htm 
> <http://www.TheBicyclingGuitarist.net/studies/colorphotos.htm>
> Basically every page of my site is as marked up as I can figure how to 
> do, but I do want to know if I am doing this correctly and in the 
> proper spirit of the intention of schema.org. Am I marking up too much 
> maybe when I add meta tags for encodingFormat and contentSize to 
> AudioObject mp3 files on my song pages? Any suggestions on how to 
> improve what I am doing will be greatly appreciated. thanks

Good start!

I encourage you to incorporate some of the high-level HTML5+Microdata 
extensions for Chrome into your curation effort. Net effect, you can see 
a translation of your entity relationship represented in your microdata 
alongside your actual HTML document [1][2][3].

Back to your fundamental question i.e., is this all correct? From my 
vantage point, its correct syntactically (I think), but in regards to 
the meaning of what you are trying to express (i.e., nature of the 
entity relationship types as represented) its not so easy to say "right" 
or "wrong" .


Links:

[1] http://susepaste.org/82867404 -- screenshot of your content
[2] https://github.com/yoichiro/semantic_inspector
[3] https://github.com/cwa-lml/microdata.reveal .

-- 
Regards,

Kingsley Idehen	
Founder & CEO
OpenLink Software
Company Web: http://www.openlinksw.com
Personal Weblog 1: http://kidehen.blogspot.com
Personal Weblog 2: http://www.openlinksw.com/blog/~kidehen
Twitter Profile: https://twitter.com/kidehen
Google+ Profile: https://plus.google.com/+KingsleyIdehen/about
LinkedIn Profile: http://www.linkedin.com/in/kidehen
Personal WebID: http://kingsley.idehen.net/dataspace/person/kidehen#this




Received on Friday, 16 January 2015 23:46:15 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Friday, 16 January 2015 23:46:16 UTC