Re: MiniSKOS update

Well, I'm still an ontologist, but I've worked on search engine
applications (not for any of the shema.org partners) and particular on
trying to correctly extract (identify) entities in web content and in query
strings, so that the most relevant information can be returned. URIs might
be where we are headed, but a great deal of heavily used information is
still contained in systems in which the essential identifier for a thing is
a code in a controlled code system, where those codes are exposed but may
not have URIs. Knowing that a concept, however else you may be able to
recognize it (labels, explicit tagging, whatever) has a particular code in
a particular codesystem (CheBI, NAICS, DUN, whatever!) is great info from
that search perspective. Just from that, you can tell quite a bit of
high-value info about what sort of thing you are dealing with, what info
about it might be most relevant, and where & how more info about it might
be found. Up the consumer (search engine or otherwise) whether to leave it
at that, or to add follow-up capabilities, so that you also serve up some
of the info that may be exposed by that codesystems providers, by querying
or scraping those exposures. If they actually provide URIs, great, but
there is a great deal of exposed and useful information, best accessed via
Codes, that isn't there yet.

Best,
Amanda

On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 10:19 PM, Stéphane Corlosquet <scorlosquet@gmail.com