Re: Letter from Commissioner J. Thomas Rosch, Federal Trade Commission

Elizabeth,

RE: "Microsoft not consumers will be exercising the choice as to what signal
the browser will send".

I have to disagree. Microsoft made a public announcement of the browser
setting. I knew that when I installed the software. The Microsoft default
was my choice when I installed the software, and they also provided me with
a way to change my choice if need be.

RE: "But it does not solve the fact that the recipients of the signal must
still choose to honor the signal and refrain from tracking consumers and/or
collecting data about them".

In essence it does solve the fact. A server as per the spec that is said to
be honoring the DNT setting MUST refrain from tracking consumers and/or
collecting data about them. What the spec does NOT resolve is the following:

If said server receives a DNT:1 setting that the server believes is coming
from an invalid browser (by the way there is no such thing as an invalid DNT
setting because it's binary) then it MAY chose to ignore that setting.

The dilemma is now apparent. The user has expressed his/her choice by
sending valid DNT setting ­ the server has now also made a choice, to not
honor it. Therefore it MUST respond to the user indicating it's status.

The current spec reads with the word "MAY" respond. This is inadequate and
opens up a wealth of legal responses all of which are not good. DNT is
binary ­ if you see the 1 setting and you support honoring that setting then
you MUST do as it says. If you lack sufficient context about "WHO" made that
setting (Microsoft, Me or other 3rd party software) then you MUST request
more data from the user.

Peter
Peter J. Cranstone
720.663.1752