Re: Letter from Commissioner J. Thomas Rosch, Federal Trade Commission

Kimon,

The issue is not choice per se ? it's how the default installation "may"
affect choice AND the ability of the DNT header to send that intent to the
server.

Think of this analogy ? I buy a car with airbags installed for safety. I
expect them turned ON by default. I don't expect to have to climb under the
hood/bonnet to turn them on. Microsoft's default choice for the user is one
of safety. They also provided the choice for the user to change that
default.

I could if I wanted to turn off the DNT setting after installation and
BEFORE going to a Web site. In which case the server sees nothing (there's
still NO ability to set either a 0 or unset ""). Now two days later I decide
that maybe I want to make an alternative choice ? and I turn it back on.

I now go to a new Web site that honors DNT for the first time ? how does the
server "know" who set the flag, when it was set, how long it has been set
and whether or not that's really my intent today?

DNT:1 lacks context to answer those questions.

It's now up to the server to start asking some questions IF it thinks the
DNT is invalid. And it's going to need a list of reasons why it thinks that.
So far we have none, other than a press release which servers don't read.

Peter
Peter J. Cranstone
720.663.1752