RE: PROV-ISSUE-85 (What-is-Entity): Definition of Entity is confusing, maybe over-complex [Conceptual Model]

Luc,
First - thanks for persevering!

I don't think we can separate characterized thing and situation in the world the way you'd like - if we change the situation - i.e. the parts we want to fix, we actually change the characterization.  As in my email a few minutes ago to Graham, if we consider a 'file' to be mutable w.r.t. name/path/location, it isn't really a file any more - it's some 'logical file' (Reagan Moore used this term for SRB/iRODS). I think this is generally true though we often colloquially use the same term (like file) for multiple characterizations, we can't actually come up with a consistent definition if we do that (I think Allen Renear's argument that mutable documents can't exist is essentially this).

What that does to a definition is to make the attributes directly about how you're characterizing the thing. The ID represents a thing as characterized by the fixed attributes provided. 'Luc in Boston' is a thing (no offense :-) characterized by a name and location and perhaps by a 'base type' of person since we expect Luc-in-Boston to behave like a person (Be mutable in the ways a person is even though Luc-in-Boston does not fit fully fit the definition of person since people can travel between cities). (Graham - perhaps this is the better way to address the file case as well - the logical file has a base type of file rather than inventing the type logical file or document version for it).

The way the situation in the world comes in is really that some characterizations are more useful than others when talking about specific situations  - Luc-in-Boston and Luc-in-New-York make it easy to talk about travel.

The issue of uniqueness over several intervals might best be explained by saying that provenance is part of the characterization of a thing and hence Luc-in-Boston who arrived on flight A is different than Luc-in-Boston who arrived on flight B because the provenance is part of the characterization and that is clearly different in these two cases. This has the nice corollary that an entity cannot be created by two different processes (ignoring for now the question of whether there might be more than one way to assert that in PIL - different levels of granularity, etc.) - it is by definition.

 Cheers,
 Jim