Re: Welcome to Community Group on Ontology-Lexica

From: Piek Vossen <p.t.j.m.vossen@vu.nl>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 15:47:00 +0200
To: <public-ontolex@w3.org>
Dear all,

My name is Piek Vossen and I have a chair in Computational Lexicology at the Faculty of Arts of the VU University Amsterdam. My group works on wordnets, ontologies and applications that use these resources. We also host the global-wordnet-association and eventually we want to link all wordnets to a shared ontology.

As is probably true for most members of this group, we are interested in the interface between the lexicon and ontologies. Specifically, we worked on:

1. the distinction between rigid and non-rigid synsets in wordnet and how to map these to a central ontology. We developed mapping relations for non-rigid concepts, expressing that they are not subclasses of but are restricted to a domain of ontology types, whose instances are involved in processes or states
2. the modeling of events and states in the ontology to provide the previous mappings but also supper the extraction of events from text
3. modeling complex subjectivity relations in wordnet and the implications for the mapping of these synsets to the ontology, e.g. an “idiot” is not only a word that expresses a negative attitude but also has implications for the behaviour and in that sense it is different from “bastard”

Finally, we are interested in grounding of languages not only to ontologies but also to the physical workd, possibly through ontologies.

Looking forward to work with you all,

best wishes

Piek