Re: "Controlled environments" in scope for HTML working group

On Jan 2, 2010, at 11:35 PM, Ian Hickson wrote:

> On Sat, 2 Jan 2010, Larry Masinter wrote:
>>
>> First, and most importantly, the "controlled environments" of the
>> world
>> are definitely part of the web. While you might argue about who might
>> define this in general, the scope of W3C working groups is
>> determined by
>> W3C members, and I can assert with some certainty that the W3C
>> members
>> who fund the W3C are as concerned -- if not more concerned -- about
>> "controlled environments" as they are about the public web. (The
>> WhatWG
>> constituency is of course different, but we're talking about the
>> scope
>> of W3C HTML WG, and not the scope of WhatWG.)
>
> Since our charter states that:
>
> # The HTML Working Group will actively pursue convergence with WHATWG
>
> ...it seems that the scope of the WHATWG is also relevant in this
> particular case.
>
> For what it's worth, the guidance given by the chairs on this topic
> [1] is
> consistent with the position the WHATWG has been following for the
> past
> six years or so in the development of HTML5, so I don't think there's
> anything that needs to change to make the working group's deliverables
> consistent with that guidance.
>

> [1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2010Jan/0027.html

To clarify, my comment cited here is a personal opinion, not an
official chair position. I would have to consider more carefully and
consult with my co-chairs to issue any kind of official ruling. That
being said, I don't think we need an official ruling on this issue.

Regards,
Maciej