Re: Getting started with issue tracking

On Fri, 2007-11-02 at 10:51 -0700, Ian Hickson wrote:
> On 11/2/07, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de> wrote:
> >
> > as announced by Dan Conolly in
> > <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2007Oct/0367.html>,
> > I've added a first issue as trial:
> > <http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/1>.
>
> I am concerned that this issue, as described, does not follow the
> template and principles laid out in past posts to this working group,
> e.g. here:
>
>    http://esw.w3.org/topic/HTML/IssueTemplate
>    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2007Jun/0003.html
>    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2007Jun/0863.html
>    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2007Jun/0946.html
>    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2007Jun/0953.html
>
> Given the past volume of mail to this mailing list, it is unlikely
> that Hyatt and I will be able to read every mail for every issue.
> Having issues summarised in the above format in the wiki is much more
> likely to allow everyone to have their point of view considered.
>
> That is to say -- while I think the tracker is a fine tool to use to
> track issue discussion, please don't consider it the final word on an
> issue. The editors are far more likely to make sensible decisions if
> the issues are presented in the format described in the above-cited
> e-mails and template page.

I appreciate the request for issues to be thoroughly documented,
and until we do that, indeed, this tool will be no more the
"final word" than any other.

I think we'll work out norms as we go.
The suggestion to "link to *all* the e-mails on the relevant thread(s)"
resulted in more noise than signal in several cases in the ESW Wiki.
Anyone who wants an exhaustive list of mail messages can use
the lists.w3.org archives. Editing for brevity is very valuable.

gpg D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E