Re: [whatwg] Video proposals

Another thing I like about the <video> proposal apart from the consistent
API across browsers is that controls buttons could be generated by the
browser, which would leed to a consistent user interface within the browser.
This would be good for usability. Same with <audio>. I don't think those two
way to do 80% of the needs of video / audio integration. I would be happy to
use <object> for a more complex need.

In the same train of thought, a <document> tag might be useful. I always
found anoying that for many embeded documents (word or pdf) you would have a
second user interface that have similar functionnality to the web browser
(ex: search within a document). Something like <document src=""
type="application/ms-word" />. Having a consistent API and consistent user
interface for an embeded document would be certainly useful. Imagine a
consitent interface (user and API) for an embeded word document, a pdf, or
even an editable content / controls for a CMS, wiki or a blog... Of course,
creating an API that can edit both a PDF and a Word document is something
daunting to say the least... But something that could be useful for simple
content creation (like in a simple CMS, blog or wiki, something that can
actualy generate valid HTML!) and general document embedding for viewing
might be possible.

There is a thing that concern's me though is that this is coming close to
compound documents.

-Benoit Piette