Re: Leading the Forefront - with IRC ! ?

Le Sun, 25 Mar 2007 11:29:12 +0300, Mike Schinkel <mikeschinkel@gmail.com>
a écrit:

> James Graham wrote:
>
>> > IRC is somewhat old-fashioned but always usefull to
>> > have a quick and clear conversation, a forum I would
>> > prefer above a mailinglist, since most forums have a
>> > better searchfunctionality than my emailclient. Also it
>> > imho easier to keep discussion well-structured when
>> > using discussion threads on a forum, however that is my
>> > personal opinion based on previous experience with
>> > mailinglists and forums.
>> >
>> Without wanting to sound rude, it sounds like you need a
>> better email client.
>
> Sorry for picking on James' reply as several others have said similar,
> but
> why is it people who have a legitimate preference for something other
> than
> email get condescended by those people who do prefer email?
>
> Personally, I find the use of email overwhelming for lists of the volume
> level that this HTML list has. Assuming email is the only way to
> communicate
> on this project I know for certain I will be far less able of provide
> useful
> input and will often be asking questions about issues that have already
> been
> discussed than if some other more structured method would be made
> available.

Hello!

While I haven't followed this entire thread, I have to add that, yes,
following the list is a bit overwhelming (there are *tons* of emails).
However, that's the way it works best. As James said, email clients allow
us to properly filter and manage the flow of emails.

On the other hand, some people favour managing the flow of messages in a
forum-like environment.

See the public-html archives:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/

You can subscribe with your feed reader to the RSS feed. It's almost like
viewing a forum. Or, simply, just watch the archives.

I also recommend using a separate email account for mailing lists. This
email address I use (mihai.sucan@...) is only for mailing lists.

I do like using the email method, more than a forum.

As for leading the forefront, the future of the Web, with old-fashioned
IRC and mailing list: I don't think this really matters as long as the job
gets done and it works. We do not need ultra-advanced conferencing
technologies for "writing the future".

--
http://www.robodesign.ro
ROBO Design - We bring you the future