Re: DogFood

On Dec 5, 2007, at 21:29, Sam Ruby wrote:

> But this is clearly just the start.  At the present time,
> html5.validator.nu conformance checking tool identifies a gross
> number of errors:
>
>  http://tinyurl.com/2wywpp
>
> I imagine that the errors can be grouped into three categories:
>
>  1) errors for which my page ought to be fixed
>  2) errors for which the validator ought to be fixed

Did you identify any errors that the validator reported but were not
errors per current spec draft? Granted, there are a number of
unfriendly messages there, but as far as I can tell, all of those
point out actual errors.

Even "Bad value text for attribute type on XHTML element input." is
technically correct although not exactly helpful (see error class 4
below). This message is the #1 usability bug, BTW.

>  3) errors for which the spec ought to be fixed
>
> I'm posting my early results here in the off chance that it sparks a
> discussion.

I identified four classes of errors:
  1) meta charset in XHTML
  2) wbr
  3) a dangling for="q" attribute
  4) lots and *lots* of cases where you have inline content where only
block content is conforming.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi