Re: ISSUE-24 (ogg-delete): Request to delete "should support Ogg" clause before publishing FPWD [HTML 5 spec]

On Dec 1, 2007 3:25 AM, HTML Issue Tracking Issue Tracker
<sysbot+tracker@w3.org> wrote:

> ISSUE-24 (ogg-delete): Request to delete "should support Ogg" clause before publishing FPWD [HTML 5 spec]
>
> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/
>
> Raised by: Michael(tm) Smith
> On product: HTML 5 spec
>
> Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 16:05:30 +0200
> From: mikko.honkala@nokia.com
> To: connolly@w3.org, public-html@w3.org
> Subject: RE: Request for clarification on HTML 5 publication status  (ISSUE-19)
>
> we see benefit to publish a first WD of the HTML5 spec. To avoid any
> patent issues we request deletion of the following clause from the spec
> before it is published. We support publication under the condition this
> change is made.
>
> > "User agents should support Ogg Theora video and Ogg Vorbis audio, as
> > well as the Ogg container format." in 3.14.7.1.

Couldn't we replace that sentence by a more general one, speaking
about 'at least one patent-free format' ?

--
Olivier G.
http://www.lespacedunmatin.info/blog/