Re: [HDP] Other comments from RI

Olivier GENDRIN wrote:
> On 8/24/07, Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org> wrote:
>> Thanks Olivier for finding ways to suggest an approach that I was struggling
>> to put into words.
>
> You're welcome.
>
>> Personally, my inclination when using a date cut-off would be to say just
>> versions in force up to 5 years ago.  Remember that the Web itself has only
>> been around for a little over 10 years, and I think it is reasonable to
>> expect people to upgrade their technology within a 5 year period.
>
> You mean that that for version n of a browser, we would have a cut-off
> for version n-1 5 years after the release of the n version ?
>
> Please note that people are still using IE5, and that we need a
> critera for abandonned browsers.
>
> And we lack data about developping countries.

Developing countries and new users have the advantage of no legacy systems.

However, as an owner of a website that went live in January 1997, I don't
understand the point about cut-off dates.

Personnally, I just ignore a website that tells me to download/upgrade something
to view their site.

Marghanita
--
Marghanita da Cruz