Re: HEADERS, FOR whom - any ID?

On 6 Aug 2007, at 21:16, Alfonso Martínez de Lizarrondo wrote:
> It could be made even simpler for general use if it could point (for
> example by default) to the next input element.

Screen readers kind of do this already, where if an <input> does not
have an associated <label>, they will guess that the preceding words
(to the left) is the label for the text/select input... or to the
right of a checkbox/radio input.

Its very messy, but better than nothing.

However, I don't think this should be implied in the spec... just
because the screen readers have found a way to (just about) work in
these situations, does not mean we should recommend their guess work
as a solution.

Going on the classic "rate these options out of 5" example, where
each option has X radio fields, formatted in a tabular structure
(which is valid, as it has defined rows/cols)... then this justifies
the <label> for those fields to be in the <th>'s... the only issue is
that HTML4 only allows one ID per label @for... so it would be nice
to add multiple ID's... space separated (like the @class attribute).

Thoughts?