Re: [csswg-drafts] [mediaqueries] Media Feature: "reduce motion" user setting

From: James Craig via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2016 16:36:30 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
@inoas suggested these as potential default values:
```css
(motion: all)
(motion-preference: all)
(prefers-motion: all)
```

None of these are backwards compatible, and `all` as a falsey value
feels awkward to me.

@inoas and @frivoal suggested these as potential
forced-all-animations-off values:
```css
reduce-motion-preference: forced
motion-preference: disabled
motion-preference: block
```
I think the concept of a forced-all-animations-off  value is unlikely
to be implemented well due to it breaking too many interactions, but
let's agree to keep the syntax open to this idea if needed. I believe
the current proposal in PR #586 does so:

```css
prefers-reduced-motion: default | reduce; /* future potential for
forced-no-motion, etc. */
```

@inoas also mentioned:
> @cookiecrook Not a fan of the shorthand, but the idea with the
prefers- prefix seems to be a good one!

I'm glad you liked the prefix. I'm not which shorthand you were
referring to. @grorg's PR #586 used `prefers-reduced-motion: default |
 reduce`

--
GitHub Notification of comment by cookiecrook
Please view or discuss this issue at