Re: 2022-2026 Verifiable Data Standards Roadmap [DRAFT]

On Wed, Mar 16, 2022 at 7:27 AM Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com>
wrote:

> On 3/16/22 10:13 AM, Snorre Lothar von Gohren Edwin wrote:
> > No one benefits from working in silos in this space, so I support a
> wider
> > ecosystem roadmap with labels/marks.
>
> ... which then begs multiple questions:
>
> Should we point out technologies that are competitive with one another
> and/or
> largely overlap in functionality?
>
> For example: There are at least three VC exchange protocols in play right
> now.

Yes - and I agree with the note following this one on the thread that they
are meeting different needs use-cases.

The fact is that there is a huge opportunity to really leverage the "OIDC"
"doorways" that exist all over the web (a protocol that is literally used a
billion times a day...you know some real adoption) to exchange VCs - with
some small changes.

AND people in this group seem to be "deathly afraid" of that work because
it isn't home grown here alone in isolation and focused on web only.

DIDComm is also a channel that is being worked on for exchanging VCs - and
has a real community really using it in the wild.  Then at IIW a
conversation happened about how to bridge the interoperability centered
around CCG and the interoperability centered around Aries - and to make
credentials movable between these existing ecosystems - and WACI-PEX (now
called WACI-DIDComm was created) but also its not clear this was ever
"embraced" as good collaborative work - but more like a lot of "not
invented here" sentiment.    As far as I know it was never invited to be
presented here.

There is a lot of "othering" of work that isn't CCG. Because that work is
less "pure".

SSI is bigger than CCG - and there is good work - being done by good people
- with a strong commitment to open standards outside of this group.   One
of the reasons people choose other venues are good ones - like stable good
infrastructure and perhaps most importantly - support staff.  We could not
be where we are now with organizations that have brought community support
staff into the mix.

And no it is not just conspiracies by large corporations to sabotage and
hurt the community.

Honestly we must get our act together as a wider collective community
BECAUSE - other things that are not in the SSI community are gaining
traction and have market adoption because they have "one thing" they are
selling that "works" and "decision makers" understand it.  (I'm looking at
mDL here and maybe also ADI)

You asked "who should decide" about what goes on the road map.
Right now it seems to be Manu decides.

I think listening to the wisdom of the crowd here to share the key
standards they see as being relevant to the road map you shared is a good
starting point.

Maybe we work with some swarm intelligence about directions and options -
https://unanimous.ai/

Maybe use Radical Exchange voice which leverages Polis
https://pol.is/home
and
Quadratic Voting
https://towardsdatascience.com/what-is-quadratic-voting-4f81805d5a06

Trying to think out of the box.

 There are lots of potential deliberative processes.