Centralization dangers of applying OpenID Connect to wallets protocols (was: Re: 2022-2026 Verifiable Data Standards Roadmap [DRAFT])

I'm taking all of my hats off and saying the rest as a "concerned citizen and
computer scientist". Take it as personal commentary, for whatever that is worth.

I expect much of this to be controversial... and result in an unavoidable
permathread. :)

TL;DR: It is hopelessly naive to think that OpenID Connect, THE protocol that
centralized social login to 3-4 major tech companies, only requires "small
changes" for self-sovereign identity and is a "doorway" we should gleefully
step through.

On 3/17/22 5:45 PM, Kaliya Identity Woman wrote:
> Yes - and I agree with the note following this one on the thread that they
> are meeting different needs use-cases.

It's all a matter of perspective, isn't it? :)

When you get down into the details, sure you can argue that some protocols are
addressing different needs/use-cases, but it is also undeniable that every
single one of the protocols can move a Verifiable Credential from point A to
point B. In that way, they're directly competitive with one another. That's
not an interesting debate, though; it's at the wrong level -- too meta.

What would be more beneficial is for someone to produce a pros/cons matrix
like we did for "Protecting VCs using pure JSON JWTs vs. VC-JWTs vs. Linked
Data Proofs":

https://w3c.github.io/vc-imp-guide/#benefits-of-jwts
https://w3c.github.io/vc-imp-guide/#benefits-of-json-ld-and-ld-proofs

Until we get to that level of detail, I expect we'll not make much progress on
the wallet protocols topic.

> The fact is that there is a huge opportunity to really leverage the "OIDC"
> "doorways" that exist all over the web (a protocol that is literally used
> a billion times a day...you know some real adoption) to exchange VCs - with
> some small changes.
>
> AND people in this group seem to be "deathly afraid" of that work because
> it isn't home grown here alone in isolation and focused on web only.

I... just... don't even know where to start. I disagree with every concept in
the previous paragraph. :)

I can't speak for anyone else in this group, so I'll just speak for myself:

It is hopelessly naive to think that OpenID Connect, THE protocol that
centralized social login to 3-4 major tech companies, only requires "small
changes" for self-sovereign identity and is a "doorway" we should gleefully
step through.

Login with Google/Facebook/Apple/Microsoft, those "billions of times a day"
usages... are all coerced logins. We have no choice but to use the big tech
vendors. That is not a world I want to contribute to.

We are not "focused on web only" here... though it is an effective "gotcha!"
talking point that seems to not be questioned when uttered ("I mean... the
word "WEB" is in World Wide Web Consortium! What else could they be up to over
there!?"). The phrase is disingenuous, I really wish those uttering it would
stop... but you can't blame them, it's an effective way to get people who
don't know any better nodding in agreement with whatever "non-Web" thing
you're going to say next.

I am "deathly afraid" of the work, because people are rushing into it without
thinking deeply about the consequences. So, "Nope!":

I refuse to just go with the herd and gleefully re-cement centralization in
this new generation of identity technologies.

I refuse to trust that things will be different this time because the same
people that created OpenID Connect have learned their lessons and are doing
things differently now.

... and I refuse to accept your mischaracterization of this community, the
good faith efforts that they've put forward to coordinate where they can, or
why some of us remain sceptical of some of the other wallet protocol efforts
going on right now.

It is possible for all of us, across all communities, to act in good faith and
still disagree on the path forward.

I certainly don't think for a second that the vast majority of people involved
in OpenID, DIF, CCG, IIW, or RWoT are acting in bad faith. Misguided, possibly
(including myself!), but not this "Not Invented Here Tribalism" narrative that
seems to be so popular. I see a bunch of people, across each "silo", doing
their best to solve hard problems given all of the pressures of their work and
home life. Full stop.

Going back to OpenID being applied to Verifiable Credential Exchange. There
are three fatal flaws that need to be overcome for it to be a good idea:

1. Eliminate registration -- if you require wallet
   registration, you enable centralization.

2. Eliminate NASCAR screens; don't allow verifiers to
   pick/choose which wallets they accept. If you allow
   either of these things to happen, you enable
   centralization.

3. Eliminate the concept of "App Store"-like in-wallet
   "Marketplaces". If you do this, you put issuers at a
   natural disadvantage -- pay to play to get listed
   in a wallet's "Marketplace".

Rather than seeing solutions proposed to the problems above, the OpenID
specifications seem to be doubling down on enabling the three items above.

Out of CHAPI, DIDCommv2, and OpenID... OpenID is the most centralizing, worst
solution for Verifiable Credential Exchange on the table today.

That is not to say it can't be fixed, but I have yet to see a proposal that
addresses all three items above.

> There is a lot of "othering" of work that isn't CCG. Because that work is
> less "pure".

No, there are concerns related to the technical underpinnings of OpenID that
lead to centralization that have yet to be addressed by the current proposals.

The only Othering I'm seeing going on here is what you're doing. Casting some
vague subset of the CCG as this irrational, web-only, not invented here,
tribal silo and going after community volunteers that are not doing what you
want or meeting on your schedule.

I've known you for many years, Kaliya -- you're better than this and are
usually a bridge builder and tireless advocate for open lines of
communication. I know you're frustrated, we all are, but I don't think the way
in which you've chosen to engage is going to result in what you want.

Again, just my $0.02 as a community member.

https://www.digitalbazaar.com/