RE: [ACL] principal-collection-set

Maybe I oversee something, but where's the guarantee that in ACL those sets
will be identical for all resources?

I agree with you that some of the arguments are a bit fuzzy (and that I'm
late in this discussion)... HTTP (RFC2616) says about OPTIONS:

"The OPTIONS method represents a request for information about the
communication options available on the
request/response chain identified by the Request-URI. This method allows the
client to determine the options
and/or requirements associated with a resource, or the capabilities of a
server, without implying a resource action or
initiating a resource retrieval."

So are we talking about "communication options" in this case?