W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-ws-desc@w3.org > July 2004

Minutes: 29 July 2004 telcon

From: Allen Brookes <abrookes@roguewave.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 13:07:28 -0700
Message-ID: <D486606E7AD20947BDB7E56862E04C39CE0465@cvo1.cvo.roguewave.com>
To: "'www-ws-desc@w3.org'" <www-ws-desc@w3.org>

Web Services Description Working Group
Minutes: 29 July 2004 telcon


Present:
 Erik Ackerman          Lexmark
 David Booth            W3C
 Allen Brookes          Rogue Wave Software
 Roberto Chinnici       Sun Microsystems
 Glen Daniels           Sonic Software
 Paul Downey            British Telecommunications
 Youenn Fablet          Canon
 Martin Gudgin          Microsoft
 Hugo Haas              W3C
 Tom Jordahl            Macromedia
 Jacek Kopecky          DERI
 Amelia Lewis           TIBCO
 Kevin Canyang Liu      SAP
 Jonathan Marsh         Chair (Microsoft)
 Jean-Jacques Moreau    Canon
 David Orchard          BEA Systems
 Bijan Parsia           University of Maryland MIND Lab
 Asir Vedamuthu         webMethods
 Sanjiva Weerawarana    IBM
 Umit Yalcinalp         Oracle
 Prasad Yendluri        webMethods, Inc.

Regrets:
 Helen Chen             Agfa-Gevaert N. V.
 Peter Madziak          Agfa-Gevaert N. V.
 Arthur Ryman           IBM

-------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Agenda 1. Assign scribe.
Allen Brookes
-------------------------------------------------------------------- 
2. Approval of minutes: - July 22 [.1], Ugo's correction [.2], Asir's
correction [.3] 
[.1]
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Jul/att-0308/040722>-
ws-desc.htm 
[.2] <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Jul/0309.html> 
[.3] <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Jul/0312.html> 
Minutes approved
--------------------------------------------------------------------
3.  Review of Action items [.1].
PENDING   2004-04-01: Marsh will get schema tf going.
PENDING   2004-05-19: Editors to include in the primer an example 
                      that uses MTOM.  (Issue 72) 
DONE      2004-05-21: Editors to add ednotes to the spec to 
                      indicate areas that had contention.  (Issue 
                      190)
DONE      2004-06-17: Editors to incorporate David Booth's clarification
                      in section 8.3 about what required means on MTOM
                      feature.
DONE      2004-07-08: Editors to implement resolution to 177 as 
                      amended.
  (Some Part 1? component may remain.  Roberto will check.  Plus
conformance section.) 
DONE [.2] 2004-07-08: Glen to verifiy composition model.
DONE      2004-07-15: People who want to file a minority opinion 
                      should do so by July 22.
PENDING   2004-07-15: Editors to incorporate Operation Name proposal v3
DONE      2004-07-15: Editors to implement
                      /www-ws-desc/2004Jul/0047.html (Issue 211).
DONE      2004-07-15: Editors to implement
                      /www-ws-desc/2004Jul/0011.html (Issue 236).
DONE      2004-07-15: Editors to indicate error for AD HTTP binding in 
                      case of conflict. (Issue 241).
DONE      2004-07-22: GlenD to review Part2 text relevant to AD feature.
DONE      2004-07-22: Part2 Editors to follow up with GlenD about Part2 
                      text relevant to AD feature.
DONE      2004-07-22: Sanjiva to check on logistics for Toronto F2F.
DONE [.3] 2004-07-22: DBooth to follow up on XMLP request for response 
                      on comment.
DONE      2004-07-22: Part 1 Editors to add Paul's clarification of
                      fault in an appropriate spot in Part 1.
DONE      2004-07-22: Hugo to incorporate media type fix into part 3.
DONE      2004-07-22: Part 3 editors to move pseudo-schemas up front 
                      (Issue 237)
DONE      2004-07-22: Part 3 editors to incorporate Issue 189 
                      proposal 1, 2b, and c (from Asir).
DONE      2004-07-22: Editors to incorporate proposal for Issue 243.
DONE      2004-07-22: Editors to incorporate proposal for Issue 246.
DONE      2004-07-22: Editors to incorporate proposal for Issue 248.
DONE      2004-07-22: Editorial action to remove ed note on media type.
DONE      2004-07-22: Editors to incorporate proposal for Issue 238, 
                      come back to WG if there are issues.
DONE      2004-07-22: Editors to incorporate proposal for Issue 249, 
                      come back to WG if there are issues.
DONE      2004-07-22: Editors to update schemas for SOAP and HTTP
                      bindings.

[.1] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/#actions
[.2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Jul/0323.html
[.3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Jul/0315.html

3 formal objections filed, composition, features and properties, unique geds


------------------------------------------------------------------------

5. Task Force Status. 
a. Media type description - 1st Working Draft Published [.1] 
b. MTOM/XOP
 - Last Call Published [.2] 
c. QA & Testing
 - Suggested QA plan [.3]
 - More details from Arthur [.4]
 - Interop bake-off 
d. Schema versioning
 - Waiting to hear back from Schema on my draft "charter."
 - Henry's validate-twice write-up [.5] 
[.1] <http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/WD-xml-media-types-20040608/> 
[.2] <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Jun/0052.html> 
[.3]
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Apr/att-0029/QA_Oper>
ational_Checklist.htm 
[.4] <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Apr/0037.html> 
[.5] <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Apr/0019.html>
------------------------------------------------------------------ 
6. New Issues. Issues list [.1].
 - none 
[.1] <http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/2/06/issues.html> 
------------------------------------------------------------------ 
7. Issue 238: Consistent placement of <feature> and <property> [.1]
 - Details (Sanjiva) [.2] - Roberto to check.
 - Editors have completed, propose closing issue.
 [.1] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/2/06/issues.html#x238
<http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/2/06/issues.html>
 [.2] <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Jun/0267.html> 
	Closed, has been implemented 
------------------------------------------------------------------ 
8. Issue 249: HTTP binding mismatch and identification missing (Hugo) [.1]
 - Proposal [.2]
 - Editors have completed, propose closing issue.
 [.1] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/2/06/issues.html#x189
<http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/2/06/issues.html>
 [.2] <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Jul/0285.html> 
	Closed, already dealt with 
------------------------------------------------------------------ 
9. Issue 248: Property component's dependency on XML Schema [.1]
 - Proposal [.2]
 - Editors have completed, propose closing issue.
 [.1] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/2/06/issues.html#x248
<http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/2/06/issues.html>
 [.2] <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Jul/0283.html> 
	Closed  
------------------------------------------------------------------ 
10. Issue 250: Properties within wsoap:module [.1]
 - Proposal [.2]
 [.1] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/2/06/issues.html#x250
<http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/2/06/issues.html>
 [.2] <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Jul/0302.html> 
	Glen: Property should not be inside soap module 
	Proposal - remove property from soap module 
	... Remove from syntax and schema 
	Proposal accepted, issue closed. 
	ACTION: Editors implement proposal 
------------------------------------------------------------------ 
11. Other new issues
 - Glen's property comments [.1, .2]
 - Glen's composition model comment [.3] - Don't reopen!
 - Help with unique GED language [.4]
 - Issue 211 resolution clarification [.5]
 - pls review text added for what "required" means [.6]
 [.1] <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Jul/0319.html>
 [.2] <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Jul/0320.html>
 [.3] <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Jul/0323.html>
 [.4] <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Jul/0328.html>
 [.5] <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Jul/0331.html>
 [.6] <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Jul/0333.html> 
	Glen: Required flag on properties makes no sense 
	... must be understood by the runtime anyway. 
	Umit: required means that the property needs to be given a value not
that it be understood 
	... don't remove now 
	Jonathan: we can discuss this next week 
	ACTION: editors incorporate "some new text" into section 2.8.1 of
part 1 
	Issue: composition model comment - Don't reopen! 
	<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Jul/0323.html> 
	Glen: should reopen 
	Amy: Is there any new information that warrants reopening? 
	Glen: will submit a last call comment 
	Jonathan: we'll add this to the agenda for next week 
	Issue: Help with unique GED language 
	Amy: can we point to Architecture document for definitions of terms?

	DBooth: might have used service where provider agent would be more
appropriate 
	Amy: no need to introduce term provider agent 
	[sanjiva] +1 to not introducing the term "provider agent" 
	Amy: need a term to describe partner of the service 
	DBooth: it was decided at the Sonic meeting to use terms from
Architecture document 
	DBooth: use of terms in document consistent now 
	DBooth: service would be ok in the text for this issue 
	ACTION: Editors incorporate text from thread "please review text"
(333) with changes of provider agent to service 
	Issue message 328 
	[asir] link is
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Jul/0328.html> 
	Sanjiva: this is written in terms of XML Schema, should be more
general 
	Editors - Change wsdl:required and wsdl:operation to component model
representations 
	Issue 211 clarification 
	ACTION: editors remove confusing sentence about not requiring
operation to be bound
	Issue 189 proposal 
	Hugo: the language is the spec now is correct 
	Sanjiva: information in the URI will not be in the body 
	DaveO: No we decided the opposite 
	Issue 189 closed, text is, or will be, in the spec 
	Back to issue 211 
	Jonathan: Does the first sentence add anything to the draft? 
	ACTION: Editors remove entire text 
	Issue "part 2 features stuff"
	Glen: already resolved, "other significant edits" mostly done, needs
some addional text, Asir will review, Amy will add. 
	Issue AD feature questions 
	[sanjiva] This is the mail I just sent ref binding the AD feature:
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Jul/0382.html> 
	Hugo: SHOULD or MUST, application feature needs to be serialized? 
	Should be MUST 
	Sanjiva, question about 177, is it still open or fully implemented? 
	[alewis]
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Jul/0370.html> 
	Hugo: what escaping mechanism should be used? 
	... propose that only ascii is allowed serialized in UTF8, otherwise
ignore 
	Amy: Doesn't http allow more than ascii? 
	Amy: header NAMES must be ascii 
	Amy: restrict header names to ascii, values to any UTF8 string 
	[sanjiva] Shouldn't we rename wsdl20-patterns to wsdl20-extensions
??? 
	Adopt Hugo's proposal which is as Amy clarified. 
	Hugo: is the term "constraint" defined? 
	Glen: yes, in features and properties section 
	Sanjiva: why didn't we define a feature as a complexType? 
	Jonathan: Do we need a way to construct a wrapper element? 
	Glen: need a comment about how the wrapper element is defined 
	ACTION: editors add comment 
	... also delete ed note. 
	Jonathan: proposal is to move material into part 2 in a new section
	ACTION: editors to move "AD Feature/HTTP binding" material into part
2 
	DBooth: point to formal objections in status section 
	Formal vote to move to last call
	Unanimous agreement on last call 



Formal vote results on moving to LC Aug 3rd:

Yes: W3C, Rogue Wave Software, Sun Microsystems, Sonic Software, British
Telecommunications, Canon, Microsoft, Macromedia, TIBCO, BEA Systems,
University of Maryland MIND Lab, webMethods, IBM, Oracle
No: (none)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Action Summary
	ACTION: Editors implement proposal [1] 
	ACTION: editors incorporate "some new text" into section 2.8.1 of
part 1 [2] 
	ACTION: Editors incorporate text from thread "please review text"
(333) with changes of provider agent to service [3] 
	ACTION: editors remove confusing sentence about not requiring
operation to be bound [4] 
	ACTION: Editors remove entire text [5] 
	ACTION: editors add comment [6] 
	ACTION: editors to move "AD Feature/HTTP binding" material into part
2 [7] 
	
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------
	IRC Log
	recorded in http://www.w3.org/2004/07/29-ws-desc-irc#T16-36-03
<http://www.w3.org/2004/07/29-ws-desc-irc> 
Received on Thursday, 29 July 2004 16:12:05 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Monday, 7 December 2009 10:58:32 GMT