RE: REST wrap-up (was Re: Web Services Architecture Document

Now come on all of you big strong trout, rise up to take the bait again one more time!!!!!

-----Original Message-----
From: www-ws-arch-request@w3.org [mailto:www-ws-arch-request@w3.org]On
Behalf Of Baker, Mark
Sent: Friday, February 06, 2004 8:12 AM
To: Cutler, Roger (RogerCutler)
Cc: www-ws-arch@w3.org
Subject: Re: REST wrap-up (was Re: Web Services Architecture Document

Roger, one followup question, if you don't mind.  Would you say that you
hold the position you do because;

a) you believe that pervasive agreement on a form of solution is a
sufficient criteria for success, no matter what form that solution
takes?

b) your understanding of the architecture of very large scale systems
suggests that a large degree of visibility[1] is not necessary

c) you believe that Web services have sufficient visibility

d) some combination of the above?

e) some other reason(s)?

I'd like to hear what others think too.  I'm just trying to understand.

 [1] http://www.ics.uci.edu/~fielding/pubs/dissertation/net_app_arch.htm#sec_2_3_5

Thanks a lot.

On Fri, Jan 30, 2004 at 11:02:52AM -0600, Cutler, Roger (RogerCutler) wrote:
> Although I have not put the time and effort into studying it enough to
> be very sure, what I have seen of the REST-like solutions you have
> proposed or described to problems addressed by Web services indicates to
> me that it COULD have been done that way and that it would have worked.
> In fact, it's even possible that it would have worked better and that it
> would have been better had it been done that way.  I don't really know
> that this is the case, but I think it's possible it might be.  I also
> think it's utterly irrelevant.  What's done is done, and the world ain't
> goin that way.

Mark.