RE: REST wrap-up (was Re: Web Services Architecture Document

From: Jim Webber <Jim.Webber@newcastle.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 01:19:58 -0000
To: "Josh Sled" <jsled@asynchronous.org>, "Cutler, Roger (RogerCutler)" <RogerCutler@chevrontexaco.com>
Cc: "He, Hao" <Hao.He@thomson.com.au>, "Michael Champion" <mc@xegesis.org>, <www-ws-arch@w3.org>

Josh:

> You seem to be arguing that RPC is required due to some
> fundamental B2B difficulty?

I'm starting to think that the REST community is unwilling to hear the
"rest" of us :-) Very few people in the Web Services community think in
terms of RPC, yet we are either told, or it is implied, that we are
doing RPC or DO.

Web Services are just about messages and message exchanges, and in that
sense that actually go further than the REST approach factoring out
interface details. In no way does this imply RPC, or for that matter any
particular communication pattern.

Jim