RE: REST wrap-up (was Re: Web Services Architecture Document

From: Jim Webber <Jim.Webber@newcastle.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 05:07:10 -0000
To: "Mark Baker" <distobj@acm.org>
Cc: <www-ws-arch@w3.org>

Mark:

> I understand.  My point remains that all Internet scale
> systems I've studied (including the ones I mentioned; email,
> Web, instant
> messaging) get to be Internet scale by defining abstractions
> at the level I'm talking about.  Can you name one that
> doesn't?  Do you think that's a coincidence?  I don't.
> Agreement on application abstractions is what coordination
> languages are all about, and they go by that name for a good
> reason 8-).

I don't necessarily think that Web Services will be used for Internet
scale systems, at least not at the same Internet scale that the human
web is at. However I do not believe that laying down a foundation that
consists of messages (which are sent and received) is in any way
detrimental to building such systems, after all I can build "your
architecture" using those primatives, no?

Jim