RE: REST wrap-up (was Re: Web Services Architecture Document

From: Jim Webber <Jim.Webber@newcastle.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 02:39:02 -0000
To: "Mark Baker" <distobj@acm.org>
Cc: <www-ws-arch@w3.org>

Hey Mark:

> A message is not an application abstraction, it's the means
> by which an abstraction is utilized.  Using the canonical
> stock quote example, the stock is the abstraction (the thing
> with the interface), and the messages manipulate that
> abstraction using that interface.

No, no, no. It is up to me what my abstractions are, and at the WSA
level I choose "message" (hey, this is like Pokemon!). That message
might convey stuff which is resolved by the application into something
more specific (e.g. a stock quote), but that is not important at this
level.

Maybe I can put it in REST-like terms (in fact Savas and I have just
been discussing this very topic): a Web Service has two operations -
SEND and RECEIVE, which involve the use of an abstraction that I call a
"SOAP message." This is like your generic REST interfaces, except this
interface is independent even of URI scheme and doesn't care what
transfer protocol you use.

All you care about is that messages are sent and received, therefore
mesasge is a valid abstraction. It might not be valid from your
perspective, but then it strikes me that not much that I work in
generally is :-)

Jim