Re: XML Schema form DTD

Stefano Galdo wrote:

> hi,
>   can anyone know how to translate an ENTITY form DTD to XML Schema? I mean
> a have a DTD something like:
> <!DOCTYPE catalog [
>         <!ELEMENT catalog (course)*>
>         <!ELEMENT course (name, duration,prerequisities,description)>
>         <!ATTLIST course code CDATA #REQUIRED>
>         <!ELEMENT name (#PCDATA)>
>         <!ELEMENT duration (#PCDATA)>
>         <!ELEMENT prerequisities (#PCDATA)>
>         <!ELEMENT description (#PCDATA)>
>         <!ENTITY tixml SYSTEM "tixml.xml">
>         <!ENTITY exml SYSTEM "exml.xml">
>         <!ENTITY xmlj SYSTEM "xmlj.xml">
> ]>
>
> I have translated it using xmlSpy into a XML Schema but it seam to ignore
> the <!ENTITY..> tag so I am not be able to refer to those external files
> (tixml.xml, exml.xml, xmlj.xml) using the &.... syntax.

Entities just do not translate into W3C XML Schema!

It's a common misunderstanding that W3C XML Schema is a replacement for
DTDs: W3C XML Schema does only replace the "modeling" part of DTDs (you
can have a look at a recent discussion [1] on xml-dev about the
subject).

[1] http://lists.xml.org/archives/xml-dev/200106/msg00579.html

--
Pour y voir plus clair dans la nebuleuse XML...
                                          http://dyomedea.com/formation/