"Orchestration" and "Choreography"

Mike,

There are 2 problems that need to be solved:

Problem #1: You have 3 different services that
interact with each other and you want to document the
exchange of message between those services.

Problem #2: You want to invoke 3 different services
in a specific order because they have data and
control dependencies between each other.

Problem #1: is called choreorgraphy. It is about
providing more information about interfaces of
services and how they plug to each other.
Choreography defines public protocols that each party
needs to be compliant with. RosettaNet PIPs, WSCI,
BPSS and BPEL4WS abtract processes try to address
this problem. Note: This is not executable logic,
only something you are compliant with.

Problem #2: is called workflow, BPM or Orchestration.
It is about implementing logic that ties a set of
services into an end-to-end process. That logic is
then executed by a run-time that dispatch the right
message to the right component and wait for the
reception of the right message to activate the next
service. Orchestration languages are similar to other
scripting language but usually include support for
asynchronous interactions (<receive> in BPEL) and
flow coordination ( <flow> in BPEL ) and business
transactions (WS-T or BTP). Also, in term of
terminology, orchestration languages use activity
where traditional languages use statements.

One of the most important aspect of both of those
problems is that they require a visual representation
because they are used as an important communication
medium between partners but also within an
organization between the business analyst and
business users that know the rules and data models
and the developers that implement the real work.

my 2c,
Edwin

---- "Champion, Mike" <Mike.Champion@softwareag-
usa.com> wrote:

> OK, trying to eat my own dogfood here, I need help
understanding the
> distinctions between "coordination"
and "choreography" in the web services
> context.  The W3C recently acknowledged
a "choreography" submission [1], and
> IBM/BEA/Microsoft just unveiled a collaborative "WS-
Coordination" language
> [2].
>
> I presume that some of the authors of those
documents are on this list.
> Please help!  [send me private e-mail if you don't
want to go on record, and
> I'll sanitize/anonymize it!!!!]
>
> As best I understand it, "choreography" is a higher-
level activity involving
> multiple web service invocations,
whereas "coordination" is a lower level
> activity that choreography or transaction
processing, security, etc. would
> employ in their implementations, and could be
exposed as a web service
> itself.
>
> I have this vague sense that while REST advocates
didn't express much
> interest in either "coordination"
or "choreography", they did so for
> different reasons:  Coordination can be handled, in
the REST view, by shared
> "state" resources identified URI and accessed by
HTTP; Choreography is
> opposed on RESTful grounds so much as by the sense
that
> RDF/OWL/DAML-S/whatever would provide a better
solution than SOAP-based
> protocols.  Does anyone else see it that way?
>
> Special bonus question: Is there a distinction
between "orchestration" and
> "choreography" in the web services context?
>
> [1] http://www.w3.org/Submission/2002/04/
>
> [2] http://www-
106.ibm.com/developerworks/webservices/library/ws-
coor/