Re: CFC, app: URI scheme

From: Noah Mendelsohn <nrm@arcanedomain.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2013 10:01:58 -0500
To: "www-tag@w3.org" <www-tag@w3.org>
CC: Marcos Caceres <w3c@marcosc.com>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>

On 11/4/2013 7:17 AM, Marcos Caceres wrote:

> On Monday, November 4, 2013 at 12:11 PM, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>> >Or in other words, you are designing a proprietary walled garden
>> >system around web technology. And that's fine, but the web platform
>> >should aspire to higher goals.
> Agree also.
>
> Maybe we should publish this as a Note? That is, so people can still have some interoperable spec that they can use for these situations, but not make it something the W3C “recommends”.

FWIW: there is a long history in the TAG relating to the whether/when we
should encourage the use of http- and https-scheme URIs in preference to
others. In at least one case, we played a role in convincing an external
(non-W3C) group to move toward use of http URIs.

I'm not in a position to summarize all that history just now (I'm at a
conference), but your chairs should be able to find the highlights :-). If
you do decide to write a note, I suggest you review the earlier discussions.

Noah