Re: HTTP Range 14

On 3/4/12 5:41 PM, Graham Klyne wrote:
> On 04/03/2012 19:32, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
> > Graham,
> >
> > The problem with new URI schemes is that you can't get browsers to
> support them.
> > Browsers are the main source of the current problems. [...]
>
> Well,  I wasn't advocating or dismissing any particular solution, just
> pointing out a similarity with an existing proposal.
>
> As for the browsers being the problem... well, maybe I'm out on a
> limb, but I happen to believe there's more to the Web than just browsers.

So do I, but I also understand that technology evolution works better
than revolution. Thus, the innovation has to work transparently with
what exists. This is why http: scheme URIs are the preferred (but not
sole) vehicle for Linked Data.

> And as for the infrastructure that "just works" - I guess that's true
> if you don't look too far beyond current capabilities and expectations.

Yes, if you want to be non disruptive, then you want to show technology
users how a tweak to the system enables them do more. That always trumps
"rip and replace" .

> But even there, Jonathan's analysis of the issue points out that,
> among other things, there is a lack of clarity in the handling of
> "landing pages" - one that I've run up against but didn't previously
> recognize as a manifestation of the old "HTTP-range-14" problem.

The lack of clarity is a function of poor narrative. The recommendations
for httpRange-14 are a collection of options for preserving the essence
of the WWW architecture and vision.

> Technically, I believe the current muddle can indeed be made to "just
> work". But the web is more than just a technical system - it's people
> too.

If what you said wasn't baked into the architecture of the Web it
wouldn't exist as the ubiquitous system it is today. It has always been
a system with dexterous technical architecture. Thus, rather than caving
in as adoption grows, it has the ability to evolve in non disruptive
ways. We've moved from binding networking, hyperlinks, and structured
documents to doing the same for networking, hyperlinks, structured
documents, and structured data. That's quite an uncommon feat with
regards to software oriented technology architecture.

> And I think there are times when what people expect diverges from what
> the technology delivers, leading to outcomes that may be technically
> correct, but not useful in the sense of not meeting people's expectations.

People just want to click-click-click, and in doing so,
follow-their-noses en route to a journey that's increasingly laden with
serendipitous discovery . This is what they truly seek of the Web medium.

>   If we can find a narrative that makes better sense of the present
> technical architecture, which I think Jonathan's recent postings could
> lead towards, then that will be great.

Yes!

We need to fix the narrative. Now, that doesn't mean rejecting existing
recommendations. It actually means aligning the narrative with what
exists in other realms. This will trigger the kind of instinctive
juxtaposition that isn't happening right now. For instance, anyone
grappling with "Open Database Connectivity" (ODBC) shortcomings should
instinctively recognize the alleviation delivered on a platter by Linked
Data.

>   But until then, I won't completely close my mind to alternative
> solutions, even if that means additional URI schemes.

We have to deliver a non disruptive evolution rather than a disruptive
revolution. Browsers are critical parts of the ecosystem. We can't
eradicate them just like that :-)

Kingsley

--

Regards,