Re: [css-pseudo] Need a way to styling the disclosure triangle of the <details> (or <summary>) element

On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 10:56 PM, Patrick Dark
<www-style.at.w3.org@patrick.dark.name> wrote:
> On 2/28/2016 12:33 AM, Xidorn Quan wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Feb 28, 2016 at 2:19 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> That sounds like a very weird behavior for Firefox to have. Maybe they
>>> should just stop that?
>>
>> I don't know the reason behind this behavior, but I don't think this
>> is something CSS spec need to consider.
>

> The behavior is a convenience feature for selecting a list item's contents.

Interesting.

> I don't think this issue is a CSS spec problem. However, it does highlight
> the fact that this feature -- the disclosure widget -- is being shoehorned
> into another feature -- list counters -- that clearly wasn't designed for
> this purpose.

Other way around - this is a list-related feature (highlighting the
contents of the element when you click the bullet) being shoehorned
into a CSS feature (the "display:list-item" value) that isn't
restricted to lists.

This is identical to automatically putting table-sorting functionality
on anything that specified display:table, which would be obviously
silly.  The Firefox behavior should be limited to the <li> element,
which is semantically a list item (if it's kept at all).