Re: [cssom-view] Expose the 'renderport' to content

On 9/04/16 6:55 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> I talked this over further with Ojan and Elliot, and I think we're
> actually against this, at least as stated.
>
> The reason is that the "area that the browser is prepainting" can vary
> drastically across browsers and versions.  At the moment, our window
> is *huge* (I think they said 8k by 8k or so?) but we have plans to
> shrink it to only a *teensy* bit larger than the visual viewport, just
> a tile row or two past the edge (but we'll be doing other work in a
> larger window, like running layout on contain'd elements).  It's
> likely that content will end up depending on a particular size of
> window, forcing us to lie in the future.
>
> That said, just changing the semantic a little, so it's explicitly
> just the region of the scroll area that the browser recommends having
> prepared, would work.  In fast inertial scrolls, it can provide the
> end-point window, which would be convenient!
>
> ~TJ
Wouldn't the large variations in implementations force content to
actually use the values provided as-is, and not rely on specific numbers?

That said, I think having it be a recommended area rather than the
literal area to be painted is a good improvement.

- Matt